Chapter 8 Stargazing

After Leafy wrote in her diary on the night of the little cooking contest explaining to her diary about the fun time she had, she got up from bed and saw Firey sleeping soundly as she carefully and quietly pulled back the curtain separating their beds for privacy.

Firey snored and breathed in deeply. Leafy couldn't help but smile at her best friend and roommate.

"Sleep well, Firey, my best friend.", Leafy whispered as quietly as possible.

Leafy, then, went outside and climbed up onto the roof of the hut and near the newly patched up roof spot from when the lightning struck a while ago. Leafy wasn't tired that night. She wanted to do something she did way back when she was exiled in Yoyleland: to watch the stars in the sky.

She laid down on the rooftop. Looking around in wonder, she watched as the stars twinkled around her. It was quiet and peaceful save for the occasional wind blowing gently against the palm trees and the waves gently crashing onto the shore.

She remembered how things were in exile. How painful it was. How helpless she was. How she lost everything..., because of a petty reason and fued with Firey.

Leafy simply sighed. She knew she needed to move on if she wanted to find true peace. Looking at the stars, she saw a small star in the sky. It seemed to be blue-ish in color. Leafy stared at it in wonder. She never had seen the star before. But, she knew it was special. She knew it was a precious star among the others, being different and being small.

But, just because it was small and different, didn't mean it was less important than the others.

It just meant that it was unique and special in its own precious way.

Leafy looked down at herself. Just because she did something bad and selfish, didn't mean she was a bad person overall.

It just meant that... she was a misguided girl that actually had a big heart and just wanted a true friend.

****************

After a little while, Leafy returned to her bed. She held a small coconut filled with fresh water in her hands.

She took small sips of it as she looked out her window.

Maybe she could find the strength that she needed to move on and find peace. It would just take time.

Maybe..., just maybe...

Leafy yawned after finishing her water. She laid down and covered herself with her blanket.

"I will never do anything to hurt my friends again... never... again..."

And with that, she feel asleep.

And for the first time ever...,

... she slept peacefully, with no guilt and no sorrow to chain her down.