24. amethyst eyes; the pills' reprise

♗ ♔ ♕ ♘

ᴀᴍᴇᴛʜʏꜱᴛ ᴇʏᴇꜱ ʟᴏᴏᴋᴇᴅ ɪɴᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜʀꜱ, ʙᴇʟᴏɴɢɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴀ ʙᴏʏ ᴅʀᴇꜱꜱᴇᴅ ᴀꜱ ᴀ ꜱᴏʟᴅɪᴇʀ. The two of you stare at each other, watching, analyzing every single thing about each other.

You look to Dr. Osore and then back to the boy. He seems about the same age as you.

His stance is prepared and his posture perfect, hands at his sides and chin held high. His eyes are the most striking purple you've ever seen, like jewels, shadowed by long dark eyelashes. His skin is flawlessly smooth dark brown, his black hair has short tight kinks and curls, and his expression is totally neutral.

Norman's eyes are the only other ones similar to precious gems, in some lighting, they shine brighter than sapphires. (Honestly, though both are beautiful, you prefer sapphires to amethysts. In a similar way that you prefer blue to purple.)

Nonetheless, you couldn't stop staring at the remarkable purples in his irises.

He's staring at you with those eyes, notably absorbing as much information as he can about you, just from appearance.

You don't make it easy, matching his stoic stance and blank stare.

He is a balance of both built and lean, clearly trained in combat. Interestingly enough, he has no scars, unlike the many visible on your arms, so it must mean he's never seen real combat.

A battlefield is no place for a teenage boy parading as a soldier anyway.

He is the same generation as you, as his number ends in '—94', like your number does, but you guess that maybe he is a year or two older.

Osore says something to him, and he nods.

You watch as she signs to you, "Introduce yourself."

Her expression is tighter than usual... you guess that something about his arrival may be unsettling to her. Though you can't quite figure it out right now.

You look him up and down, then sign, "Y/N. 15."

You wait for a moment expecting that he does not know sign, but he surprises you when he effortlessly answers:

"Nova. 17."

What an interesting name...

The two of you stare for a moment longer, until Dr. Osore instructs the two of you to pay attention. Her words seem... a bit more careful today, perhaps a bit coded. Either way, her word choice is much more hesitant than usual.

"Welcome Nova. I am sure you are... glad to have this... opportunity to be here permanently. As I am sure you know, from now until you and Y/N are notified, the two of you are to be... partners. Partners in training as well as academics and other important subjects."

Osore gives the two of you wary looks, "See to it that you are always at the top of your game as training and academics will be more rigorous than ever."

"Though remember... the two of you will beare partners, so you should act as such."

Dr. Osore gives you a special look during that line, practically telling you to 'play nice' with Nova.

She pauses for a moment, watching as two young teenagers look at her with outmost determination (well, Nova mostly). Osore then says one last ominous warning to the two of you.

"I suggest that the two of you become... acquainted. Because... in this lab and in the future, the two of you will only have each other, so naturally, you will have to look out for one another. I feel that it is easier for a partnership to... flourish... if the participants are not strangers."