29. a fate; worse than death

♗ ♔ ♕ ♘

"ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ...", a voice pulls you out of your memories, your ancestor visiting in your dreams, and the first night together with norman, "Is that it's an abstract and wonderous sort of state."

Your eyes slowly flutter open and you hear the faint sound of running water. You are calm, more at peace than you ever have before. 

You stand in the sky, in the sea, and in a field all at once, there is no sense of up, down, left or right. You just are.

"Wonderous...?", you whisper softly.

The voice chuckles, getting closer, "Yes... very much so."

Suddenly you are met with a being without eyes... yet somehow you feel watched from all angles, no mouth but their voice booms all around and inside your head, they're blurry, bright, and a black hole of colors and darkness. 

"You've been face to face with death every step of the way. Born from death, raised with death, enamored with a boy obsessed with defying the undeniable--- a boy whose destination will bring about death."

"Yet, I am still alive."

They chuckle.

"Yes, you are. How do you suppose that is? That you get so lucky...?"

You feel a tear roll down your face, "I'm not."

"You wish for death."

"I wish for freedom."

"Do you really want that? You got it, and where did that get you, child?"

"Norman I can't believe you're trying to block me out! I'm trying to help you, this, this obsession, you have with revenge, this is not who you are."

"Y/N why can't you understand that there is no other way? There is no god. Only devils. Emma and Ray are just desperate. They don't understand, they can't."

"And what?"

"And you should!"

"I am not here to bow to you and feed into whatever is going on here. Maybe there is another way."

"Of all people... You are going to hold me back from the one thing I can do before this sickness takes over me."

"Hold you back?"

"I love you, can't you understand that? I love you so much I'm okay with dying for a world you can be happy in. I want to burn it for you. I will burn for you. But if you get in my way, I will have no choice but to act"

You shrink, holding your knees together, tears like an endless river.

"That isn't love. I don't want it if that's what it means. I don't want your love."