One

I am running and running but there is no end to this darkness. There is no light ahead and no escape but then I heard the voice. The animalistic voice that had to come from behind me. I pick up the pace. I don't want to be caught in the hands of the monster. I do not want to face the monster again and again. 

I heard the growl again and no matter how much I am trying to run away I cannot. I cannot, I am getting slower and slower. I am unable to get my speed. I cannot get myself to move faster. And then I felt it, cold breath on my neck. Coldness, and then the warmth getting hotter and hotter and I was burning. I was burning hotter and hotter.

My eyes opened finally. I was still on the bed that was allocated to me. I was in a small room which was, unfortunately, the only bed I have seen in the past ten years. As I was picking up my tattered outfit for the day, my father came in unannounced.

His blue eye which my older brother inherited from my father was looking at me. I was bestowed with less awesome normal brown eyes of my mother. "An important meeting is about to be held and you are not going to be in it. Do you understand?" said he and I know he expects one answer "yes sir, I understand" He gave me a curt nod. And then he left. After a while, my elder sister entered.

She looked happy. A little too happy actually "hey Allure" she acknowledges my presence as I was still holding my clothes. "have you heard that the Alpha King is looking for a bride? And dad has arranged for the best clothes so that I can meet him. Maybe he will pick me." Again I managed to give her a smile

"I hope, I am going to check the college today, so I might not be here for the big meet" And her answer didn't even shock me. I think nothing that comes out of their mouth is surprising anymore. "No need Allure, he might not even want to talk to you. Remember you are just a stowaway of the family. He is coming here for me." I can only smile at the response.

I picked up my bag and walked out of my small room. And then I picked up my motorcycle, it was the same one that belonged to my mother. Though it was old, it still was very much operational. "You and me again Valkyrie," I said touching the shiny silver coat I had put a few days earlier. I was just racing my hand over the words

Valkyrie

She loved it, I still remembered when she used to give me rides. How much I miss her. So much and it hurts inside.

I put on my helmet and put on the key. The ride was enjoyable. But as I told them, I wasn't going to check on any colleges. I was going to be at a very special place. Because it is my mother's birthday. And like every year I am going to go to the lake, the one place which was still untouched by everything that had gone down since in my life.

Well, I haven't introduced myself to you. I am Allure Jamie Maxwell. Maxwell is my mother's maiden name. I wasn't allowed to use my father's last name. He doesn't want to acknowledge me as his daughter.

I parked my motorcycle in its usual place. And they walked towards the waterfall and the cave system also the lake it ends into. Surrounded by mountains and greenery it was a piece of paradise. I sat down on the lush grass as I heard some movement behind me.

I turned around to see a huge grey-black wolf. It was standing there looking at me. It was looking at me, accessing me. I was just minutes from being torn down into some more tasty morsel for this wolf and its family.

Minutes later another wolf joins him. I think the family is coming together and I am just seconds from losing my life now. And the situation still looked very much hopeless as it was minute. Maybe a little more now. I just hoped to get it over soon. But the wolves seem to be assessing me. Then I heard someone calling for them "Luna, Dimka come." And then I saw the man himself.

He came out of woods, shirtless in cold wearing pants walking barefoot in the thick snow of the forest. He possessed the most beautiful hazel eyes I have seen till now. He looked at me and then at the wolves. "Dimka back off" The command goes through the air and immediately the large grey wolf backed off. The other wolf also backed off.

After that, the man looked at me. "My apologies, they were too much excited for their run in the woods, they didn't mean to frighten you." The wolf looked down, the one he called Dimka looked guilty. "Normally they are well behaved, maybe they are just scouting the new territory." He reassured.

"O...K... I believe you" He held out his hand to me. I placed my hand on him and he helped me up. "You are not hurt, are you?" I shook my head. He patted on the heads of the wolves like they were his pets. "Time to go home you two, the pups are waiting." And just like that, they were gone.

I too saw how time had passed. I placed the flowers I brought near the tree the one she and I planted. "Goodbye mom, see you soon." I touched the branches of the tree. And I felt the overwhelming sadness filling me. But she isn't coming back. I am on my own as always.

I put my motorcycle in gear and drove back to my house. There must be a ceremony going on and then till I reach there, everything will be over. I can always take the backdoor and see the ceremony. And watch as the Alpha King puts the engagement ring on my sister's finger. It is the only thing on my mind when I reached my pack grounds But it was unusually quiet.

I walked in and found almost no one in sight. So, I just try to be quiet as well and then go to my room. But I was knocked down something or in my case someone. The large grey-black wolf I saw earlier was standing with his front paws on my chest and he was wagging his tail. So much to go unnoticed.

"Dimka," I said and the wolf settled down. He was just giving me a wolfish grin. Yes, that is what I call a positive attitude buddy. Where is my family though? "Where is everyone?" I asked.

Like he can understand you, nice job Allure.

He was up on his feet and started moving. I followed. It was my backyard. The ceremony was just started and I saw the man whom I met earlier frantically looking for something. Then his eyes looked at Dimka and he relaxed. He walked towards the stage.

I saw my sister there and she looked angry. Honestly, she always gets angry when she doesn't get what she wants. And with her, there was someone I wasn't hoping to see. It was Alpha Jackson or my father. "She is not someone I had in mind, Alpha Jackson." He was talking to my father about my sister and that he didn't like her.

My father must be having a heart attack knowing someone didn't like his precious child whom he was so proud of upon breeding. I cannot believe the king rejected her. She is just perfect. What does he want in his companion if not perfection?

And then it happened. His eyes met mine and his lips curved up in a smile. He signaled someone and I felt myself getting pushed towards the center of the crowd. I don't want to be in trouble. And this is asking for the trouble itself.

I was pushed onto the center of the stage. "Trying to hide, aren't you? Lovette?" I didn't get it. It is exactly a well-defined scenario that I wanted to avoid. It is exactly why I wanted to stay away from all this. I was better off without anything at all. But now, I am in the middle of a situation that I cannot avoid at all. And to my surprise, he held my hand.

He took me towards my father and sister. And I kept trying in vain to free myself. He kept holding me tightly. He raised my hand and said to my utter surprise and horror "I have found my bride" No, this cannot be. I am not ready to be his bride at all. I was too shocked to even see that my sister had made her target and she was coming in for the kill. The target was me. She then lunged at me. 

Word Count: 1528 Words