Arc 1 chapter 6: the club fair

Kanzaki and I returned to class after the business with Kushida. about 10 people had remained in the room. Some had pushed their desks together so they could all eat as a group, while other, more solitary students quietly ate their lunches alone. Everyone here had brought a lunch box from the cafeteria or convenience store.

I was talking with Kanzaki at our desks, when music played through the speakers.

"At 17:00 Japan Standard Time today, we will be holding a club fair in Gymnasium No. 1. Students interested in joining a club, please gather in Gymnasium No. 1."

A girl with a sweet voice gave the announcement. Club activities, huh? Come to think of it, I'd never joined a club before.

"Hey, Kanzaki?"

"Mhm?"

"Are you interested in joining a club?"

"Not really. Not my kind of thing, I'm afraid," he shot down my idea.

"O-oh..."

"Well, since you apparently want to go find out about the clubs, do you intend to join one?" He asked.

"Oh, I'm not sure, I guess. I'm still thinking about it. Probably not, though."

"You don't plan to join a club, but you want to go to a club fair? How odd."

"Do you want to come to the club fair with me?" I asked.

"Hmm. Sure. I suppose, even if I don't want to join a club, it'll be a fun thing to do," he accepted.

"Did I hear you two talking about the club fair?" Ichinose, who had just sat down, asked us.

"Yeah. Would you like to come, Ichinose-san?" I asked.

"Yes, of course. It'll be fun!" She said.

"There are more people here than I expected."

After class had ended for the day, Me, Kanzaki, Ichinose and a few other members of class B went to the gymnasium. Nearly all of the students assembled there were freshmen. There were about a hundred people waiting around. We stood near the back of the room and waited for the fair to begin. While waiting, we glanced over the pamphlet that students received upon entering the gymnasium. The pamphlet contained detailed information about club activities.

"I wonder if this school has famous clubs? For example, something like karate?"

"Every club seems to operate on a high level. It looks like many athletes and club members here are famous throughout the nation."

Even though this school didn't seem like a top-tier institution for activities like baseball and ballet, the clubs here certainly looked great.

"These facilities are significantly more substantial than ordinary schools. Look, the even have O2 chambers. The equipment here is so luxurious, it puts the professionals' stuff to shame. Oh, but it looks like they don't have a karate club after all."

"I see."

"What? We're you interested in karate or something?" I asked.

"Well, I got my black belt last year. It would have been nice to practice at an official club, so I don't get flimsy," he admitted.

"Wow, Kanzaki. That's really impressive," I gave him a pat on the back.

"Although, despite your expertise, it seems like it'll be hard for newcomers to get into athletic clubs," I said. "Even if a first-year student managed to break in, they still might just be a benchwarmer forever. I can't think that would be much fun."