Arc 1 chapter 6: out with the old...

Students overflowed through the school doors as they made their way home. I was a little worried about finding Ichinose, but my anxieties quickly disappeared. She stood out even in this sea of students. Although her cuteness could have been one reason why, she also had the type of presence that dominated wherever she was.

To be honest, I didn't really know how to describe it. I could only describe it as intoxicating, gentle power. A power that was amplified by how many first-year students recognised her. It was similar to Kushida, but even more so. Ichinose was popular with boys and girls alike. They greeted her one after another. Because of that, I wasted about five minutes just trying to find the right time to call her myself.

"Ah. Ayanokouji-san. Over her, over here!"

Ichinose eventually noticed me and called me over. Pretending like I'd only just arrived, I casually raised my hand.

"So, what should I do next?" I asked.

"I plan to finish this as soon as possible. Follow me."

I put on my shoes and followed Ichinose to the other side of the building. We arrived at a spot right behind the gymnasium. This did seem like the kind of place where someone would confess their feelings.

"Now then..."

Ichinose took a deep breath, and faced me. No way...did Ichinose plan to confess to me?!"

"I think..."

No way, there was no way this could-

"I think someone will confess their feelings to me here,"
She said.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that.

With that, Ichinose took out a letter and showed it to me. It was a cute love letter adorned with a heart sticker. Although she wanted me to read it, it felt rude to look. The handwriting was pretty, much like the letter's exterior. The handwriting was cute, definitely not like a boy's.

If it wasn't a boy's handwriting, then why had Ichinose brought me here? Wouldn't it be better to bring a boy along to prove she wasn't in to girls?

I noticed something else that concerned me. The meeting time and location were written in the letter. It was set for Friday evening at 16:00, behind the gymnasium. That was about 10 minutes from now.

"Wouldn't it be better if I weren't here?" I asked.

"Love is kind of alien to me. I don't know how to respond without hurting her feelings. I also don't know if we can stay good friends afterwards. I want you to help me."

"No. I'm sorry Ichinose-san. This is something you have to do on your own. I don't care about whatever bullshit you'd feed the poor girl about us two, but she doesn't deserve that. You need to be honest with her. I'll be waiting by the front of the dorms when you've finished." I said, walking away.

"W-wait...Ayanokouji-san..." she tried to say, but I didn't look back.

I walked past Shiranami Chihiro on the way past. So, it was her who wanted to confess to Ichinose? Well, I wished her the best of luck, then.

This whole situation had given me a new view of Ichinose. Maybe I was wrong to have installed Kanzaki as the leader.

I called Kanzaki.

Kanzaki pov

"Hey, Ayanokouji. What did you want to meet up about?"

It was really weird. She said she had wanted to meet up at 18:00 in my room. Could she...no, she couldn't be.

"Hey, Kanzaki. I'm gonna come straight out and say it: I don't believe that you're as good a choice as Ichinose for class leader," she said.

What?

"W-what do you mean, Ayanokouji? Wasn't it your idea to make me class leader in the first place?" I asked.

This was odd. I wasn't entirely bothered about being the class leader in the beginning, but I was committed to that role now, thanks to Ayanokouji.

"Yes. And I'm sorry about that. For sure, you're better at academics and athletics than Ichinose, but I believe that Ichinose is better suited to the position of class leader. I also believe that, with enough training, she could surpass you in academics and athletics, anyway." She said.

"B-but..."

"No buts, Kanzaki. I'm sorry, but you have fulfilled your use." She said, making to leave.

No. I couldn't let it end like this. I grabbed her hand.

"What...are you...doing?" She said, without turning her head.

"No. I won't let this happen. We've already come so far, why not just keep me as class leader?"

Next thing I knew, I was on the floor.

Ayanokouji pov

I talked to Ichinose outside the dorms, after she had gone through her business with Chihiro. She said that they had worked it out, and that they would still be friends.

After that, I waited until the meeting I had scheduled with Kanzaki.

He didn't like the news, and grabbed my hand as I was about to leave.

"What...are you...doing?" I asked.

How fucking dare he grab me like that.

"No. I won't let this happen. We've already come so far, why not keep me as class leader?"

I jabbed his wrist, and he released his grip on my hands. I did a front flip, making sure my heel collided with his jaw.

I heard him fall behind me.

"Do not forget your place, Kanzaki. You may not be the tool I use to control the class anymore, but that doesn't mean I release you from my service. From now on, you'll pretend to serve Ichinose, who will be indirectly serving me. I hope I will have no more insubordination from you, Kanzaki-kun?" I asked.

"N-no, Ayanokouji," he apologised.

I stomped on his hand.

"Use honorifics."

"Y-yes, Ayanokouji-sama," he said.

Hm. I didn't like that.

"Be sure just to use san, okay?"

"Yes, Ayanokouji-san."

I left without saying another word.