Arc 2 chapter 5: a chat with Ichinose

"So far, the midterm is all that's given us a chance to raise our class points, so losing at least a few points was unavoidable for us. I mean, even class A has lost points."

However, as a result of the midterm, we'd managed to gain back points.

"You don't seem to be panicking."

"I'm concerned, but I think we can do it. I intend to focus all of my emotional energy into making those preparations."

I thought the first part of what she'd said was definitely correct. However, our cohesion as a class made such things possible. Classes C and D were quite far behind us.

"I wonder how much this event will change things?"

It would probably be worth more than 10 or 20 points. However, it was difficult to imagine that it would change things by 500 or even 1,000 points.

"At any rate, it doesn't seem like this will get worse." I didn't want to complain, but I felt that something annoying was on the horizon.

"But if we did vacation on a tropical island, that would be awesome!"

"I wonder about that..." I said.

"Huh? That idea doesn't make you happy? Do you hate travelling?" Ichinose asked.

"I don't hate it. I don't think I do, anyway..."

While we chatted, I tried to imagine what it would be like. I'd never traveled with a friend before. I had gone to New York with my parents a long, long time ago. Not a single millisecond of it had been fun. Just remembering that bitter time wore me out.

"What's the matter?"

"Just recalled something a bit traumatic."

My dry laughter echoed through the hot hallway. No, this wasn't good. If I let my negative aura spread, Ichinose would get troubled. However, it seemed like my anxieties were unfounded. Ichinose continued talking, seemingly untroubled by my words.

"Hey, I still have some things on my mind. May I ask you some questions?"

Ichinose had a radiant presence, though it was different from Kushida's. I could say that she acted without an ulterior motive. Even when talking to a person like me, she put her best foot forward.

"We've been separated into four classes from the start, right? Do you really think they separated us by ability?"

"I understand that it wasn't entirely tied to our exam results. There are people in class D that, based on grades, should have gotten into the top ranks."

Horikita had scored quite high on the midterm, I'd heard.

"So, do you think it's something like overall ability?"

I gave a noncommittal answer. I'd thought about it many times, but couldn't find a thorough explanation.

"I've been thinking about it since we started here. Someone might be good at studying, but bad at physical activity. Another might be good at physical activities, but bad at studying. But if students are ranked by overall ability, doesn't that mean that the lower classes are at an overwhelming disadvantage?"

"Isn't that how societal competition works, though? I don't think there's anything particularly strange about that," I said.

Ichinose crossed her arms and hummed to herself, as if she wasn't convinced.

"If we were competing as individuals, sure. But this is a competition between classes, right? If you simply put all of the superior students into class A, then doesn't that mean the rest of us have virtually no chance of succeeding?"

That pretty much explained the current state of our class points. However, Ichinose seemed to think differently.

"There's definitely a big difference between class A through D right now. However, I think they're trying to hide something, but going about it in a weird way. Don't you agree?"

"Okay, I have to ask. What's your reasoning?"

"Ha, no reason, really. It's just something that popped into my head. If it weren't true, then it'd be fair to say the whole situation is cruel. I think that good students and good athletes were placed into class D for a reason, as a countermeasure."

Wasn't that different from the usual system, though? I'd the classes were solely divided according to academic ability, there'd be no way to win against the others. In a system like this, it was important to be an expert in many different fields.

Ichinose stopped, almost as if she'd just remembered something. I tried reading her face, noting that she wore a serious expression.

"Hey...there's something I want to ask you, Ayanokouji-san. Is that okay?"

It was like the bright, cheery Ichinose of a moment ago disappeared. My body stiffened slightly.

"If it's something I can answer, I will."

Besides, what question couldn't I answer with my massively impressive big brain, filled with the knowledge of a hundred million books?

"Has a boy ever confessed his feeling to you?"

That...wasn't in any of the hundred million books I'd read.

"Really? Do I look like a girl who's ever had a guy confessed his feelings to her?"

Was she going to call me disgusting, or a virgin, or a shitty moron? Would I cry? I'd done stuff with girls before, did that count?

"Oh no, I'm sorry. It's nothing."

It didn't look like it was nothing. However, it did look like she didn't plan to make fun of me. Rather, she was actually worried about something.

"Did someone confess to you?" I asked.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Kind of."

It seemed like many students were striving every day to couple up like Hirata and Karuizawa in class D.

"Well, if you're okay with it, can you spare a little time after class? I have some questions about confessions."

"Sure that's okay."

"Thank you."

I wondered what all this confession stuff had to do with me? Had she made up a lie like "Ayanokouji is my girlfriend" to mislead people? I considered it for a moment, but then thought how good of a plan it was.

Since a boy was confessing, his mind would be too overloaded at the thought of me and Ichinose going out that he wouldn't really question it. Pretty genius. Much big brain 🧠.

"I'll be waiting at the school entrance after class."

"O-okay. I understand."

Even though I knew absolutely nothing was going to happen, I was pretty excited. I watched Ichinose walk away, her shapely thighs rubbing against each other. If I lowered my head a little, I was able to see her panties.

Hmm. Green? Odd colour.

Authors notes
1072 words
Yep pretty much copied from the ln again.
You know, classroom of the elite would actually make a top tier dating sim. Just think about it, tho.
I haven't eaten in 13 hours 😢
Not much else to say really
Hope you're all doing well and I hope you enjoyed