𝟐𝟔

ROSAMARIA IS BREATHLESS, HER CHEEKS FLUSHED, AND HER HAIR TOUSLED AS HER SURROUNDINGS ZOOM BY HER.

Her feet hurt as they move as fast as possible and she swears she's breaking out into a cold sweat, despite the warm summer air passing her.

She detests sweating.

"Tom! These shoes are not meant for running!

At her pleading and somewhat desperate shout, Tom Riddle stops in his tracks. He still holds onto her wrist as his eyes wander from the path they took down to the Black Lake to her pretty pink heels.

"Apologies," he says sincerely, looking at the heels as if they've offended him.

"Thank you," she says calmly, steadying a hand on her chest as she pouts at the mud that's caked her toe. "I just need a second- Ah! What are you doing?"

Once again, her breath leaves her as Tom Riddle- apparently a barbarian- tosses her over his shoulder and continues his determined pace to reach the Black Lake.

"You put me down this second!" All the blood leaves her face when she spots the edge of the Black Lake, already mourning her favorite lavender dress, perfect for summer but not for water. "I dare you to see what happens if you throw me in there, Tom Marvolo Riddle!"

Tom snorts as he carefully sets her down on her feet, pulling the stray hairs out of her mouth as he flicks the tip of her nose. "And ruin that pretty makeup? Never. There will be no swimming this time around. Hold onto me."

Her hand is barely in his grasp before she feels the unfamiliar tug in her stomach as her world disappears and reappears in a blur of whooshing colors and disfigured silhouettes. When the world returns to its axis, she opens her eyes and is marveled at the fact that they're now on Bowtruckle Island.

"H-How? What?" she asks with severe disbelief, honestly impressed at what he's managed to do. "How did you do that? You can not Apparate in Hogwarts's property!"

He rolls his eyes. "Thank you, darling. I'll try not to be insulted by your utter lack of confidence in my abilities."

She wants to tease him for the adorable and stubborn pout he's sporting, but one glance around her eliminates any teasing entirely. The bank of this tiny island has been transformed into what one might assume is a luxurious date location.

There's a soft green and wide green blanket that covers the grass and is topped with several kinds of chocolates, wine, and cheeses. Above the blanket and surrounded by the trees are enchanted twinkling lights that dance around the air, multiplying at will and making it seem like the stars are falling from the sky.

"What is this?" she asks, numb and boneless as he leads her to the blanket.

"I thought we could have a picnic on our last day at Hogwarts," he says smugly, helping her sit before sitting across from her. "We leave later this evening, and it struck me that we've never had a proper date."