𝟎𝟏

TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE HAS NOT BEEN HAVING A GOOD DAY. The day has been so bad, that he considers whether or not he should obliviate Declan Rosier just for the fun of it. 

Classes are too simple, people are too mundane, and he finds that he's always so terribly bored nowadays.

Nothing, in particular, happened this morning. He had gotten up, shifted through his not-so-expansive wardrobe, readied himself in the Head Boy washroom, and come to breakfast at the Great Hall. His Knights of Walpurgis surround him at the breakfast table, talking aimlessly about whatever frivolity they participated in the night before.

Walburga is staring at her brother, Cygnus as he and their cousin Orion fight over the last slice of pumpkin patsies- as if not remembering that the House Elves will just make more magically appear. 

Abraxas has his arm slung over Astera Lestranges' shoulder, trying to convince his betrothed for a quick shag before they head to Hogsmeade- something that her twin brothers Ryker and Rolin are grotesquely encouraging. 

Cantankerous Nott, Druella Rosier, and Madelina Parkison are talking about the upcoming Slytherin match against Hufflepuff. 

His followers supremely disgust him, but he keeps them around because of the connections they grant him. He, unfortunately, has to admit that Abraxas's wealth has been a great advantage to him, as well as Madelina's ties to the Ministry due to her upcoming marriage to Cornelius Chapman who has already graduated from Hogwarts and begun a position in the Department of Mysteries. 

Regardless of all the progress he's made, regardless of the connections, he's established, regardless that he's only one year away from starting his forever-

He is so terribly, dangerously fucking  bored

Tom looks up from his breakfast and across the Great Hall, his eyes landing on Albus Dumbledore who sits at the table on Headmaster Dippet's right side. 

He internally groans. Tom has been able to woo every single professor at Hogwarts with his charming personality, outstanding marks, and dazzling smile, but that brute Dumbledore's suspicion won't relent. 

Almost unconsciously, he tugs down the sleeve of his cream jumper as if Dumbledore possesses x-ray vision and can see right through the fabric to his Dark Mark. 

When Dumbledore's eyes meet his, Tom schools his features into a pleasant expression and waves at him. To his not surprise, Dumbledore's lips set into a tight scowl before turning to Headmaster Dippet. However, Headmaster Dippet has caught their rather tense exchange and instead is the one to wave back at the Head Boy. In a matter of seconds, the Headmaster excuses himself from Dumbledore and makes his way to the Slytherin table. 

"Tom," Dippet begins, sending warm smiles to him and his companions. "How are you, son? Are you excited for the beginning of your final year?"

"I'm excellent, sir." Tom plasters on his incredibly fake smile. He needs Dippet to like him. He needs Dippet to adore him- truthfully- if his future plans are to succeed. "I just can't wait for classes to begin this week. I hope to score at the top of our year."

Dippet smiles. "Well, knowing you, I'm sure you will succeed. However, I'm not here simply to exchange pleasantries. I was wondering if you could pop by my office at some point today. I have a matter I wish to discuss with you."