4: A bitter meal

I'm pretty sure somewhere in the world it's still thursday. An apology for the delay, please accept the picture at the bottom in which Angel's outfit is based.

EDIT: Don't you love it when the chapter is already up and you notice every single missing thing or blatant mistake and you just NEED to change it? Yeah, me neither.

TW: Imaginary gore and abasement (or bitchy family )

---

This would be a long way. And the worst part of it wasn't ignoring where it would take them, but being fully aware it was only the beginning.

It took Alastor a long while to calm down enough to look for Niffty and apologize to her. She didn't deserve such a treatment, no matter how mad or scared Angel could feel, because deep down he knew exactly how the other one felt. Still fumbling, the prince retraced his steps to the ground floor of the Palace and didn't stop until he reached the west wing and the chambers he was looking for. Unfortunately, someone else reached before him, and when he knocked, a furious Husk yanked the door open.

-How did you let that stupid kid to yell at my wife???

-Husk, please-reprimanded Niffty behind him. Her face was bathed in tears, but still she reached the Captain and softly restrained him by touching his arm-it's not his fault, it was just a slipup.

-I'm gonna rip his head off-growled Husk, as he let Alastor in.

Their wing at the Palace was a wedding gift from the Queen, being both of them loyal to the crown and best friends with her beloved son since youth. As the marriage sat back on the bigger divan, Alastor occupied a single chair next to Niffty, offering her his handkerchief.

-I'm so sorry for what happened there, mon cher-said the prince softly as he took her free hand while she whipped her tears, calming down.

- He should be here on his fucking knees, not you! - barked the Captain.

-Husker! -reprimanded the redhead- It's fine, Alastor, it was... just a slipup. I got ahead of myself. The Queen told me personally to prepare the room for your new consort...

-Consort??-yelled the men in unison. Alastor was left speechless so Husk took the word:

-Natalie, my love... I think you might have misunderstood...

-Oh no, that's exactly what Fawn said to me –said Niffty- That you guys were bringing a consort for the prince and I shall prepare the room for a woman to arrive. I didn't know Angel was a guy until you told me, love. I must confess I'm worried now... Oh my Loas*, did Angel even know? I might've scared him so much! I'm so sorry!

Alastor's mind was racing. Not only he was furious now, oh no. He felt insulted. And by his own mother nonetheless. One thing was Fawn coercing him on another futile remedy to break the curse –however the hell this one would work- he could let pass that one; but forcing him into a relationship?? And even worse, to someone forced as well?? He could believe such a foul and nasty move would come from his late father, but not from her.

Angel was right. He was bought as a bride.

*

By the time the clock stroke nine, the Red Prince was already hectic. After spending the rest of his day in everything he could come up with (reading, working, riding, you name it) in order to distract himself, avoid Angel's room and wait for his mother to show up, all he could still think about was his recent discovery regarding his new and unwanted concubine. Even when he felt calm now, it kept itching at the back of his brain, along with the loads of questions and disappointed complaints he was ready to shoot at the Queen, but it seemed she was more than aware of that since she went out to the downtown and stayed at the Mambo's* until dusk.