22: Blood Moon

Believe it or not, it was a Rasmus song (Venomous Moon) what inspired me to write this story, but I found this one more fitting while writing this chapter.

TW: ... You'll find out.

22

The orders were clear, yet strange, coming directly from the queen so the little maid didn't question it or reported back to the housekeeper. 

-How many drops, Your Majesty?-asked the girl while receiving from her a little purple flask with valerian and orange blossom solution*.

-Four or five-said the Queen with the warmest smile- right in the jar, darling. I know it seems too much, but believe me, the prince will need it.

Once Angel's health restored, the prince sent him back to his previous bedroom so both of them have privacy again and the blond wouldn't be harrased by the Queen -at least that was Alastor's excuse to put him safe without telling him the truth. He knew it would backfire at some point, but the prince preferred that than scaring Angel with the gruesome details of his curse -despite the look of disbelief and disapprove Stolas gave to him that morning. Of course Angel suspected but didn't ask; instead he invited the prince to have lunch on the white bedroom after a hectic day. 

-I'm exhausted-said Angel, having a good swig of freshly made orange juice, a bitter taste hit his tongue, but it was so vague he ignored it. -What'cha thinkin' Smiles?

The prince snapped back from his anxious thoughts, right before a piece of fish fell off his fork.

-Pardon, cher, I... I'm worried- he said, taking the bite and barely chewing it before swallowing with half the juice. -Tonight is going to be difficult. There might be casualties, and with the invaders already in our land... I didn't want to admit it, but we are pretty vulnerable right now, my love. 

-I don't think da' bugs would be that stupid- said Angel, squeezing his hand gently.- And even if they do try anything, maybe the Beast might do us a favor this time!

Alastor laughed softly, kissing Angel's hand and thanking the Loas for the brilliance behind his mischievous innocence. Behind his lover, the full-body mirror showed him the image of Rouge, grinning in approval of the concubine's words. He promised himself once he became king, mirrors would be forbidden in the whole kingdom. 

Angel yawned, his eyes tearing up a little. 

-I need a nap, don't 'cha?- before he could answer, Alastor yawned too, which took him a little by surprise. He wasn't a nap person at all, but maybe the recent events were taking a tool on him at last.

-I could use some sleep-he followed Angel to the comfy and clean bed, the sheets exceeded a scent of lavender when they laid on it holding each other.-Angel, can you do me a favor?-the blond grunted softly while taking off Alastor's glasses and putting then aside- could you please stay with Niffty tonight?

-Why?

-Husk and I must... -a yawn interrupted him- ...stay awake for the night. You know, for the watch.

-Sure, Smiles-Angel cuddled over the prince's chest, closing his eyes with a hand over his heart.-Be careful, my prince...

Alastor couldn't answer. His eyelids felt heavy and his body relaxed, holding the concubine tight, and hoping to wake up before sunset...

*

Nobody was a fan of red moons, but Niffty loathed them more than anyone in the palace -besides Alastor of course. She had to deal with the panicking staff and half-done chores with that excuse, since some of the maids had the bad habit of hidding hours before sunset, leaving her almost alone with all the work.