VIII

"I don't like him."

Shin crossed his arms as the rich boy, Will Morris, bumped into Kate and let out a muffled yelp. Kate, always too kind for her own good, whispered an assurance to the bumbling fool instead of shutting him up before any guards overheard his awkward noises.

"What a surprise." Aoi nudged him. "You hide it so well."

Shin rolled his eyes. "He thinks he's so much better than us."

Darkness blanketed the park with only the hazy glow of discarded orbs drifting up from the pond. The surrounding streets and buildings were swept away in a sea of ebony. With light and life smothered by the Eternal Midnight, it almost felt like they were the only people in the world. Most would huddle inside sanctuaries, desperate for the only illumination that still existed in the world. Others would stay in their homes, waiting the long twenty-four hours before candlelight could shine again. Only a few ventured out, unafraid of the lightless night. Though Shin respected those brave people, there was one person he wished stayed home.

In the dim patch of illumination, Rich Boy attempted to straighten himself up, only almost to pitch over the bridge. Kate grabbed him and he almost took her over the railing with him before she yanked him back.

"Are you sure you're not jealous?" Aoi leaned against a lightless lamppost, the dim orb illumination revealing her daring short red dress up to her knees. "Miffed that Princess Katie invited Lancelot?"

Shin let out an exasperated sigh. Aoi was under the mistaken impression that there was something more to his feelings for Kate. But Kate was like a sister to him. What frustrated him was that she was wasting her time on an absolute fool.

He wished Kate had let the rich boy fall into the pond. Except that would splash Matthew, who was seated beside the pond, using the dim light to read one of his forbidden books.

"We could have gone to a Midnight Party," Aoi said. "I dragged my beautiful self out for this childish fun and all I get is you sulking over Princess Katie. Other fellows would kill to spend this night with me. I might as well go waste my charms on Matthew."

He swallowed his irritation and turned to his girlfriend. Aoi's jabs could frustrate him, but he did like spending time with someone who showed no fear for the sacred laws. He leaned closer and brushed his lips against hers. Not their first kiss, she responded with enthusiasm, both attracted to the danger of the night as much as each other. Their actions of affection on the holiest night of the year could get them both purified and sent to a work camp. He didn't love her, but he loved that she wasn't afraid.

When they parted, his aggravation returned. Kate was doing her best to pretend she didn't notice them, but the rich boy stared as if the Dark might eat them alive at any second.

"Something bothering you?" Shin asked, wondering what it would take to scare the unwanted company away.

Kate shivered and rubbed her hands together. "I always forget how cold the Eternal Midnight is," she said in a pointed tone. "It might not have a true corrupting influence, but sometimes I think the priests are right that the chilliness makes people act like asses."

Shin was unbothered by her barb. But the cold did burrow past his coat and skin, going deeper than a winter's day could ever go.

"Maybe the problem is your dress," he teased Kate, who was also wearing a dress that went up to her knees. "Is looking cute really worth freezing to death?"

She giggled. "There's almost no light. How would you even know if I looked cute?"

He snorted. "We could be in the actual Dark and I would still see how good you look."