XII

The cold of the Edges clung to Matthew, even as summer ushered in sweltering days. It helped when he worked with a printer in a cramped room. Sweat might drench Matthew's clothing, but he barely felt it. Time was ticking to his sixteenth birthday and if he didn't find a way to make a living before that happened, he would be forced into serving the Eternal Light. His mother wanted him out of the orphanage, but she also didn't want him starving in the Edges.

When they finished the printing session, Matthew exited the basement door and climbed up the steps leading out of a small cloth factory. No one in the neighborhood had any idea that forbidden texts were transported underneath carts full of fabrics.

Nighttime had settled over the city, but stars shone in the sky, brighter than the false holy Light. When Matthew passed sanctuaries, his skin seared, as if the illumination was already burning him. People slipped down shadowy allies, outsiders who found more acceptance in the darkness than the light. Some went into buildings with small faded marks by the doors, a secret symbol for those who sought what they could never find within the constricting laws that strangled everyone. Sometimes it was as innocent as medicine. A lot of people dressed as if they came from Will's neighborhood emerged from buildings with those marks, and most were bad at hiding the paper packages they received. Of course, they could afford to pay off any guard who spotted them.

There were locations where worshipers of forbidden faiths would gather for religious meetings. Matthew kept his eyes away from one marked with his own faith. As much as he would like to join others like him, he read enough reports of sting operations arranged by guards or agents of the Sacred State. It could lead to arrests of not only everyone there, but friends and family.

He still hated feeling so alone.

Then there were inns where people would enter separately. No one would ever know who coupled inside those walls. It never seemed safe enough to Matthew.

Nothing ever seemed safe enough to him.

He reached the iron gates of the orphanage, a tall brick building that resembled a prison. A small sanctuary was adjacent to it, shining over the dirty yard in front. Since he technically wasn't allowed out, he couldn't go through the front door, so he had to walk around to the back. A lot of the kids slipped out to earn extra money and the employees weren't paid enough to care. The backdoor was always unlocked, but to reach it, Matthew had to walk around the sanctuary. His eyes teared up as he neared the incandescence and he had to fight the urge to check his skin for burns. Nothing ever happened, but he always felt that way.

His heart almost leaped in his throat when he saw somebody in the back. He lowered his head, hoping it was one the employees or kids out for a drink. Someone who didn't want to be caught and would leave him alone.

"Matthew?"

He forced himself not to groan. Of course, he wasn't that lucky. He lifted his head and met the brown eyes of Sam Thompson. Matthew had little trust for anyone who grew up in a facility designed to indoctrinate people into a false religion, but Sam was different. If there was a leader among the unfortunate youths, it was him. When he had a few extra coins, he would buy dolls for girls who never had birthday presents. When one boy was sick, Sam had found medicine. Once when Matthew was almost caught with a forbidden book, he made a distraction so that Matthew could hide it.

If there was anyone Matthew trusted, it was him.

"Hey." Despite Matthew's trust, it was hard to let his guard down and he shuffled his feet. "I was just..."

He didn't need to say anything more. Sam's gaze had a steady understanding.

"I'm heading out now myself," Sam said.