XXIII

Snow fell outside, shining from the abundance of brightness brought by the Last Days of Light. Lanterns hung outside every building and children carried them as they ran down the street. The faint sound of drums drifted through Kate's window, the joyful rhythm of life that the shadowy city tried to silence during the rest of the year. It was a time when rule breaking was ignored and people ran wild.

And she was stuck inside.

"Couldn't I go out for a bit?" She turned to Vanessa, who was bent over work. "It should be safer now?"

Her sister didn't even look up. "No. I don't want you getting attention."

Kate groaned. "Isaac! Didn't you say it was safe now?"

Vanessa's lover had returned and was reading a book, temporarily freed from his job during the holiday. "It is safe." He turned a page. "But you can't blame your sister for not wanting to take chances."

Kate pressed her hands together. "I'll be careful."

Vanessa scowled. "I've heard that from you."

Kate leaned against the wall by the window. Her sister was never going to trust her again. The last thing Kate wanted to do was put them in danger again, but she was sick of being stuck in the apartment.

"Isn't it bad enough that I'm going to have to spend the Eternal Midnight in a sanctuary?" Kate asked.

She couldn't think of a worse torture than being stuck inside those horrible white walls for twenty-four hours. Between the praying and the light, she would lose her mind.

Vanessa huffed. "I want a record of us being devout."

"Didn't you bribe an acolyte to get our names on the list last year?" Kate folded her arms. "Why can't you do the same this year?"

"Because I don't want to take chances!" Vanessa snapped.

Guilt swirled inside Kate and she went back to looking out the window at others who were having fun.

"It wouldn't do much harm if she went out tonight," Isaac said.

Kate almost fell off her seat. The last thing she expected was her sister's boyfriend to take her side.

"Everyone goes to see the fireworks at Bell Park." Isaac closed his book. "It's harmless."

Vanessa pushed back a strand of hair. "I know, but it wouldn't kill her to stay inside and not run off with her friends. There are worse things."

"I can't argue with you." Isaac bowed his head. "She's your sister."

Kate's heart sank. He was the only one who might be able to convince Vanessa.

"But what if I took her?" Isaac asked. "Josiah too. I can keep her out of trouble."

Kate was caught between surprised delight that Isaac was willing to do so much for her and irritation that she would have to be watched.

Vanessa's brow furrowed. "I don't know."

Josiah jumped up. "Please! All of my friends are going to see the fireworks!"

Isaac rose and went over to Vanessa. "You should come too. Enjoy yourself."

Vanessa leaned back into him as he stroked her hair. "I have too much work to do. It's harder to find time since I have to take a longer way to the office now."

She glared at Kate.

"I'm sorry!" Kate had lost track of how many times she apologized. "But you should come, Nessa. I think you need some fun."