XI

The Eternal Midnight swathed everything, leaving Will with no idea of his location. He was almost dizzy from following Shin through the smog of nothingness. But the older boy finally stopped.

"We're here," Shin said.

Will couldn't tell if it was his father's place of business.

Shin inched closer to him and leaned near his ear. "I'm going to paint the names. You keep an ear out for guards. They might not even have an orb. If you hear something, you have to lead them away. Make a noise, far enough away that they won't realize what I'm doing and draw them away."

Will waved his hand through the ebony veil around them, hiding all familiar landmarks. "What if I get lost?"

With no gentleness, Shin grabbed his wrist and guided his hand to a lamppost. "Right here. Feel this ridge?" He pushed Will's fingers against a little jagged protrusion. "This is where I'll be. If I'm not here, assume I got caught or had to leave. Don't wait here too long if that happens. Head three blocks from this spot and knock on the third door. That should keep you safe until the Eternal Dawn."

Will's stomach swam, as he was unsure if he could follow Shin's instructions. Part of him still suspected the older boy wanted him to get caught. But he offered no protest as Shin crossed the street to the building that could belong to his father. He stood in silence, scanning the murkiness for a hint of an orb and listening for the slightest sound. 

When footsteps pattered against pavement, he froze, uncertain if it was Shin returning. But it sounded as if they were heading in the direction of the business. He fought to keep his teeth from chattering and inched away from the lamppost. Once certain he was far enough away, he coughed. The slight sound boomed like thunder in the silence. Nothing happened and Will feared he had imagined everything. Then heavy steps clomped in his direction, too loud to be Shin. Will stepped backward, letting his foot hit against the ground. He kept backing away slowly, making sure he was heard. When the steady stomping grew closer, Will slipped off his shoes and crept to the side as far as he dared. The noisy movements stopped and only a sharp intake of breath pierced through the hushed atmosphere. Despite the cold of the night, sweat drenched Will. A whoosh neared him, as if someone was reaching their hand out. He tensed, preparing for the inevitable. But they made no contact with him and began walking in the opposite direction of the lamppost.

He held his breath and moved back to the lamppost. Only then did he allow himself to sigh in relief.

Three more times, Will had to repeat the same action. His fears of getting caught lessened each time he managed to evade a guard. A little too confident when he returned to the lamppost, he almost jumped out of his skin when a hand brushed against his shoulder. He managed to keep his mouth clamped shut and swallow his scream.

"It's only me," Shin whispered. "Let's go."

The faint odor of paint clung to Shin, a telltale sigh if they neared any guards. But nothing happened as Will followed him through the darkness. After a long walk through the cold, endless night, they reached another safe house. Kate and Matthew had made it. She looked surprised they had made it. Electrified by the escapade, Will recounted it at least three times for her. But as the hours dragged on, his energy ran out. He was starting to nod off when bells rang, signaling the end of the Eternal Midnight. His eyes fluttered open, but there was no big sign that light had returned. After all, it was still midnight. The light gradually returned as dawn arrived. An exhausted Will followed Kate out into the morning. He squinted and shielded his eyes from the bright glare of the sun, even brighter after the extended darkness. The warmth of sunshine chased away the unnatural chill brought by the Dark.

"Sometimes I understand why people worship a light," Kate murmured, her eyes half-closed as she gazed at the sky. "It's scary to imagine living without the sun."