XVIII

"I don't think she's going to last much longer."

Kate sat on a creaking cart, pulled by the weariest horse in the Illuminated World. Elijah sat beside her and the last crate of supplies rattled as it slid with the cart's movements.

Her boyfriend attempted to urge the horse forward before turning to her as they went down the next street. "Maybe that would be a kindness?"

"Maybe." Kate clenched her hand, unable to wipe away the horrific image of Sam's sister. "She seems to think that way, but one could hardly argue that she's lucid enough for that kind of decision. And it would kill her brother."

The cart came to a stop and Elijah examined her. "And you want to see if my associates can help her?"

Kate exhaled. "I hate asking. Her brother doesn't want it. But there's no way she can stay there. She can't control when the light shows up."

Even in a discreet boardinghouse, someone was eventually going to see something. Kate hated to think about what would happen to the wretched young woman if the Sacred State discovered her location.

"How did he even get her there if she is so bad?" her boyfriend asked.

The wind tickled Kate's skin and swept her curls into her eyes. "Sam says she wasn't so bad at first. It's like the Light has become too much for her to handle."

"I'll see what I can do." Elijah patted her hand so briefly that no gawker would be able to say with confidence that it happened. "They've helped people who have left her profession. But usually there's some sort of exchange. From what you've told me of her, I don't think she'd be able to do much."

"Does that matter?" Kate asked in a small voice, knowing how much it mattered. "It's about making sure the Sacred State doesn't win. If they find her, she might talk or they will blame what happened on people like us."

"I know." He leaned forward, his face too burdened for someone so young. "I'll do my best."

"Thank you." She leaned as close as was safe. "I better get home. I'd kiss you, but..."

He gave a half-smile, understanding her meaning. It was enough of a risk that she sat beside him after curfew. A kiss was courting trouble.

"We'll have more time," he said.

Relief went through her when he didn't push. Shin would have done it and wouldn't care about the consequences.

Kate leaped down from the cart and dusted off her skirt before another unsettling memory invaded her mind. "Did you hear about what happened to Laura?"

Elijah frowned. "I did."

His terse reply gave no indication of his feelings on the matter. Part of her wanted to believe that the authorities were doing that to Laura for another reason. That would be dreadful, but a targeted attack was almost more reassuring. A political motivation was less frightening than the prospect she was treated that way for a mistake.

"What do you think?" Kate asked.

He shifted in his seat. "I think it shows that our world is mad when her lover only had to pay for a mild purification and she had to suffer."

Kate slumped. Then she forced an expression of bright joy, refusing to let Elijah see her troubles as they said goodbye. In the back of her mind, she knew that when she parted from someone, she might never see them again. It was better not to leave bitterness in the last memory.

She crossed through an alley to get to her street. Most of the lights were extinguished and only one lone street lamp cast ghostly illumination. It might as well have been the Edges. But she could reach her apartment even if it was the Eternal Midnight, and the darkness meant most people were abed. That meant her sister wouldn't be able to lecture her about being out past curfew.