XIX

Terror ran through Kate, and she froze. Vanessa and Isaac exchanged a look and her sister's boyfriend picked up his boots and made his way over to the window. Kate's mouth dropped open when she realized Isaac would go down the fire escape. All so no one would know he was there.

"One moment please," Vanessa called as Isaac squeezed through the narrow window.

She picked up Isaac's plate and teacup, but instead of putting them in the sink, she put the dirty items in the cupboard, leaving no evidence that there had been a fourth person at breakfast. Then she walked at a glacial pace toward the door and didn't unlatch it until Isaac had vanished from sight. Creaks from the fire escape thundered in Kate's ears, but for most it was probably barely discernable over the shouts of people heading off to work and the rattling of carts heading down the street. As Vanessa swung open the door, Kate peered past her, spotting one man in a suit and another in the uniform of a guard.

"Good morning, sirs," Vanessa said with a pleasant smile, as if she wasn't staring at her own destruction. "How may I help you?"

The man in a suit bobbed his head. "Good morning, Mrs. Campbell. May we come in for a word?"

A ripple of fear went through Kate. They used Vanessa's married last name.

"Of course." Vanessa stepped back to let them inside. "May I ask what you want?"

The man in a suit strolled in as if he were there for a friendly visit. He didn't look much older than Isaac. Though he carried himself like a person of authority, he also seemed at ease in a dingy tenement. Kate assumed he must be someone who worked his way to an important position.

Her father said those were the most dangerous.

The official's gaze went over the cramped room. For the first time, it really struck Kate that her sister's lover left little presence. None of his belongings were in the main room. Of course, if they went into Vanessa's bedroom, there would be no hiding that a man stayed there.

The man waited a little too long to respond to her sister's question. "I am Agent Leonard Mason. I am sorry to disturb you, but I am investigating a heretical crime."

It felt like the earth was opening in front of Kate and everything she loved was going to fall into an abyss of darkness. Heretical crimes could mean anything, but they didn't send agents for petty reasons.

This had to do with Sarah.

"How terrible." Vanessa's brow creased. "What could have happened?"

Mason adjusted his cuffs, and he eyed the silent guard next to him. "There are dark forces gathering in this city. I don't want to frighten you, ma'am. But I am here for a reason."

Vanessa tilted her head as if she had no idea where this was going. "What is that?"

"There were reports of a strange surge of light in a local boardinghouse. It could have been as simple as someone breaking a stolen orb. But boarders heard agonized moaning. Forgive my indelicacy, but in the early hours of the morning, a body was found. The face was burnt beyond recognition."

A torrent of terror and questions flooded Kate. She desperately needed to know who died. If Sarah was no longer unable to control the Light, it could have been her. But a wild burst of it could do that to anyone. She had left before anyone else. Sam, Shin, Will, or Matthew might be dead.

"How monstrous." Vanessa shivered as if she didn't read grisly crime reports every day. "I am sorry for what happened, but perhaps we could discuss this in private, since my siblings are still young?"

"I'm afraid this concerns them," Mason said. "Hours earlier, a schoolgirl matching your sister's appearance was spotted visiting the establishment."

Unable to breathe, Kate did her best to hide the fear erupting inside.