XV

Will's feet crunched over a few fallen leaves, the only litter on his pristine street. It never felt real after he had a trip to the other areas of the city, and it seemed like more of a sham since he had seen the Dark. His curious mind did mull the peculiarities of the changing colors of the leaves, the sign that nature persisted while unnatural shadows dominated most of the world. The priests would assert that the Eternal Light maintained the world through divine blessing. He still couldn't understand how everything remained as if there was no darkness, even with the illumination. But there was no one he could discuss it with, and Aoi showed nothing but disinterest when he mentioned it.

"That's a question for rich scholars." She leaned against the bench, dressed again in a suit instead of the daring dress she wore at Kate's party. "I'm more concerned that I'll have enough fuel to get through the winter. I don't even live in the Edges, and my neighbor froze to death last year."

Will winced. "I'm sorry. Is there anything I can—"

She held up her hands. "Thanks to the Sacred State, I don't have any pride, but even I'd feel funny taking from you when I'm about to ask for something."

His eyes widened. "Do you need something?"

She rubbed the bridge of her nose. "Not me. This involves Matthew, but I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to say. How much is safe to say."

"Is he all right?" he asked.

"As all right as any of us... although considering that looks like a new coat, you're doing much better than most," she teased before her playful expression washed away. "This has to do with his mother. I can't say anymore except money is required."

Will swallowed when she told him the amount. "I know everyone thinks I'm a rich boy, but—"

"That's because you are one, Romeo." Her playful expression returned, and her eyes glinted. "It's the way it is. I figured you wouldn't have it."

He shook his head. "I want to help. What if... what if I gave you something to... hock?"

Her mouth twitched in amusement at his whispered last word. "That would be dandy. But if that's the case, you're going to pass it to Shin. I'm not getting caught with anything hot."

His heart sank. "I don't think he would accept it from me. Not even Matthew."

"This was his idea."

He frowned. "Are you serious?"

"Not if I can avoid it." She beamed. "But yes, he asked. The boy can live in the Edges, but he doesn't even have the nerve to face you."

Will played with his sleeves. "Does it have to be him?"

She rolled her eyes. "And you're just as bad. Don't let Shin get to you."

He straightened his shoulders. "I'm not."

She snorted. "And I'm the Incarnation of Light." The brightness faded from her face almost as fast as the Eternal Midnight brought darkness to the world. "Shin is a pain, but his life is not easy. He'd rather everyone hate him than admit it. He needs something to fight, and you represent the people who benefit from our miserable world."

Her words hit harder than Will would have liked. "I can't do anything about that."

"Of course not. You're still young." She grimaced. "But Shin looks at you and sees someone who will go off to a grand university and swim in money when you work for your father. He knows you'll make the smart choice in the future."

"Maybe I won't," Will whispered.

In that moment, Aoi looked far older than her sixteen years. "There are plenty of people like you, you know. The paper wouldn't have any funding without donors. You can do some good. Make changes. But you'll always be safe because of your name. If I get arrested tomorrow, I could die in a purification and be another nameless corpse dumped in a mass grave."