I

Light. It was everything and nothing.

Will Morris wrinkled his nose. The thought confused him. It wasn't the first time he had a thought that could be considered blasphemous, but it was the first time any resentment toward the Eternal Light crept into him.

He yawned, resisting the urge to rub his eyes while trailing the cantankerous Sister of the Eternal. Her tone soured when she caught him dozing in the Chamber of Worship. As if she expected a thirteen-year-old to remain awake for twenty-four hours. It was impossible. Will didn't care if it was traditional to keep a prayerful vigil before one dedicated themselves to following the Eternal Light.

Everything blurred, and he blinked furiously, attempting to clear his vision. He didn't know how anyone could serve the Eternal Light without going mad, spending day after day in the sanctuary. An overwhelming whiteness and brightness permeated everything. No color, no darkness. The hall seemed to stretch into eternity.

But sanctuaries were supposed to be good. They kept back the darkness of the world.

They reached a door, and the Sister turned to him. Her name was either Helen or Ellen—if Will wasn't confusing her with another of the sour-toned priestesses.

"Is it time?" Will asked, trying to suppress the impatience in his voice.

Judging by the Sister's posture, he had failed.

"The Dedication Ceremony is still being prepared. As son of one of the founding families of our city, many important guests are still arriving," Sister Sour said, sniffing as if she didn't think he deserved it.

"But I thought I had to meditate upon the holy Light until I promise to serve the Light?" Will frowned. "Isn't it supposed to keep me pure until I embrace the Light? If I wait, won't I get impure again? Would I have to hold vigil for another twenty-four hours?"

"This will only be for a few moments—"

"Can't the Dark grab onto me in those moments?" He tilted his head as her face grew redder and redder. "That's what the sacred texts say, right?"

"Enough questions!" Her sharp tone pierced the unnatural silence of the hall. "Questioning the sacred texts is a sign of corruption."

"If that's a sign of corruption, does that mean I have to start the vigil over again?"

"Yes," she said crossly.

"Wouldn't that make my father angry?" Will swung his sore arms back and forth, weary from remaining in a meditative position for so long. "He has a lot of guests coming. Would they all have to come back tomorrow?"

Sister Sour sighed like his teachers when he started questioning the logic of lessons. He bit his mouth, deciding the questions weren't good for his health. She might decide he needed to spend another twenty-four hours in a chamber of bright light. He would go mad if that happened.

"Your father may come from one of the city's founding families, but even he cannot circumvent the sacred texts," she said.

He wasn't sure, but kept his mouth shut.

"You will wait in the Chamber of Worship until the preparations for the ceremony are settled." She coughed. "We must go to extra care to accommodate the son of someone so important."

Will winced. He knew that tone. Many people resented him for being the son of an elite man—as if he could help it. It surprised him that a servant of the Eternal Light would feel the same way—they were supposed to be above such human pettiness.

Any doubt that she resented his privilege was brushed away as she escorted him into the new Chamber of Worship. Will knew an insult when he saw one. A small room, with a scuffed white floor, surrounding a small prayer pool. The water glistened with golden light. A silver railing encircled the pool, with two worshipers kneeling beside it.