XXV

There was nothing Shin hated more than when he was afraid, especially when it involved the Eternal Light. Others did riskier things every day just to survive, so he shouldn't have trouble breathing at the prospect of seeing a priest.

The apathetic acolyte tapped his foot with impatience. "Are you Touched or Gripped by the Dark?"

Fear squeezed Shin's heart, and he shook his head. "No. I only want to speak with them."

"She's busy."

Shin folded his arms and attempted to look gutsy. "When someone seeks a priest, they are not supposed to be refused."

He stared into the acolyte's brown eyes until the man grunted and went back into the other room. Disbelief crashed into Shin. It appalled him that he was seeking out a priestess. It wasn't just stupid, but self-destructive. Others might run to the Light when they were scared, but he understood the cost.

Unlike them, there was nothing he feared more than the Light. It was that dread that kept him from moving. He couldn't let it get the best of him.

Even if this was the stupidest thing he had ever done.

Despite common sense screaming at him to leave, he waited until the priestess came out. Garbed in white robes and a veil that hid her face, it was hard to determine anything distinctive about her. She couldn't be that important if she served in such a low-level sanctuary.

"What do you wish of the Light, Son of the Eternal?" the priestess asked, her voice too indifferent for someone whose sanctuary was full of people fearing the encroachment of the Dark.

"If you didn't know, it's a darker day out there." Shin leaned his head down, hoping she didn't sense his nerves. "People are wondering if something is wrong?"

He couldn't outright ask her if the Light was failing. That would be considered blasphemy.

She was silent for an uneasy moment. "Life grows darker because of sin. Pray to the holy Light to keep you in its protection."

That was as helpful as Shin expected. "Aren't you going to do something? What if innocents get lost in the Dark?"

Most priestesses at hole in the wall sanctuaries would leap at the chance to demonstrate that they were blessed by the Light. Even if nothing was happening.

"I am only a vessel of the Eternal Light. If you wish for a brighter world, you must pray," she said. "Corruption brings the Dark. Not only our corruption, but that of others. If you are aware of anyone who is corrupted, you must report them."

Shin tensed, expecting her to press him about any suspects. Instead, she went back into the other room without even checking to see if he would pray or ask if he needed a purification. Her white robes disappeared behind the corner and the door closed. He blinked, thrown by her indifference. His questions should have been enough cause to purify him. Although there was no way they could force him into the ritual. There didn't even seem to be a guard present, and Shin was pretty sure he could take the acolyte. That left the priestess, and she didn't even want to summon the Light as the Dark grew.

He went over to the prayer pool and pretended to pray. His heart pounded, but logic told him nothing was going to happen. He couldn't understand the reason, but the priestess didn't seem interested in him at all. That should relieve him.

But the whole incident troubled him.

While he leaned down, he examined the orbs at the bottom of the pool. It was hard to tell without a closer look, but the orbs seemed a little muted. That happened with stolen orbs when there was no priest to renew the Light. The encased glow eventually dissipated. But in a sanctuary, it could be maintained.