XVI

When Matthew finished work, he found Kate waiting for him. His heart tightened, and he almost expected her to bring the news that his mother had died. But her cross expression suggested something else.

"Good evening," Matthew said, adjusting the gray scarf Kate had knitted for him. "Everything all right?"

"No, it's not." Kate pushed herself off the crate where she was sitting. "Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

He frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Do you think I'm stupid?" she demanded, though was careful to keep her voice lower than a whisper so they wouldn't attract attention. "Elijah told me what you're mixed up in. Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

Matthew played with his coat sleeve. "I..."

There was a reason he hadn't told Kate. She might fling herself into danger, but since the loss of her parents, she grew agitated when others did the same.

She huffed. "Don't lie. You're wretched at it." She dusted off her dark skirts. "And you went to Shin instead of me?"

Guilt rose in him at her hurt tone. "I don't want to make things harder for you."

She narrowed her eyes. "Don't you do that. It's rotten to be so nice when I want to be angry."

He gave a sheepish smile. "Sorry." As a cart rumbled past them, he moved away from her out of habit. "If you're going to keep scolding, we should go. I'm not supposed to linger out here after work."

Kate needed no explanations, and they began walking, keeping enough distance that they could continue their discussion, but no one could accuse them of improper behavior.

"You're taking a lot on faith," Kate said, keeping her words innocent enough in case someone overheard. "I know you want to help your mother..."

The image of his mother alone in the dark crept into his mind. Matthew's stomach swayed, but the queasiness was probably from passing an alley full of decaying fish. Kate grew green and placed her sleeve over her nose.

"I have to do something," he said as soon as they were past the noxious stench. "Everyone says this is the only way."

Kate coughed. "No, there is another way that is quite recommended."

Matthew's shoulders slumped. She meant believing in the Eternal Light. Something his mother could never do.

"What am I supposed to do?" he muttered, as they waited for a slow cart to move out of their way. "If it were your mother, what would you do?"

Kate recoiled as if she had been slapped. Shame slammed into Matthew and he squeezed the straps of his bag. He knew how much she suffered after she lost her mother.

"I'm sorry," he murmured. "That wasn't fair."

"No, I understand." She tapped her foot as the slowest cart in the Illuminated World continued moving at a glacial pace. "But people who seek these methods... they tend to go for someone with more experience."

Kate's warning wasn't lost on him. When people sought the help of a former priest, it was often one who had been free for a longer time than Sam's sister. They had practice at alleviating the symptoms of the Affliction. A new renegade priest could make a mistake.

"I don't have a choice," Matthew said as they finally were able to cross the street. "The more experienced ones? They cost money. A lot."

Kate held her satchel tighter and glared at a young pickpocket darted by them. "Your mother used to work for someone important," she said, too careful to avoid bringing up Jon Knight's name even when she was whispering and a noisy crowd was drowning her out. "Could he help?"