~2~

The next morning I awoke to the clamouring of the girls around me. It was our first day of classes. The hell if I was going to be late.

I wiped my eyes and yawned before hastily heading to the bathroom to change. I brushed my hair and put on my robes, then headed back towards my trunk to get my shoes. Soon I was ready and I plopped back down on my bed with a huff.

"Big day, huh?"

I whipped my head towards the unknown voice to see that same nice girl from the Great Hall. She sat on the bed next to mine and stuck out her hand.

"I'm Genevieve, but you can call me Gen." She told me with a warm smile, and swiped a lock of her shoulder-length strawberry-blonde hair behind her ear.

I tentatively reached my hand towards her. "Y/N."

Only when Gen turned towards the girl standing at the head of her bed did I notice she had a friend with her. "This is Serena," the short redhead grit her teeth a little at the name, "but she hates her name, so we call her Ren."

When I say redhead, I mean redhead. Not orange, this girl had beautiful deep red hair.

I was deeply intrigued at this point, but I snapped out of it to go shake the girl's hand. "Ren." I confirmed.

She smiled shyly at me, but it seemed like she was becoming more comfortable with me.

"We'll be late for class if we don't get going," she realised. "See you later, Y/N." I quickly agreed and grabbed my books.

Maybe being in Slytherin wouldn't be so bad after all.

Not a few seconds after I took my seat did the teacher show up. He stalked slowly up to the front of the classroom.

"I'm Professor Snape, as you all well know, or should." He shot a glare to no one in particular.

"I'll be teaching you potions this year, and I expect nothing short of excellence." He drawled in his drony voice. I doubted I was going to like this class.

Though the work was dreadfully easy. I finished miles ahead of everyone else.

I was sitting there, finished of my work and reading a Potions textbook when Snape began walking toward me. He leaned a touch too close to me and I recoiled a little, praying to Merlin he didn't notice.

He didn't seem to, I could still feel his wet breath on my face when he said threateningly, "See me after class... Y/N." Then he gave me a quick look up and down and sauntered away.

I shrugged. Something about this Professor stressed me out. I shivered a bit then turned back to the textbook, hoping the class would take a very long time, or maybe he'd forget he wanted to see me.

No such luck.

"Y/N Granger." He spoke slowly and clearly. "Your sister is quite impressive, though I didn't expect you to be as well. I'm pleasantly surprised. Can I see your book?"

"My... book?"

He nodded and took the book quickly when I handed it to him. He flipped through the pages, inspecting each and every one. Then he whispered something and swung his wand over it.

I furrowed my brows. "Sir, I really must get to my next class-"

"I'll excuse you." He interrupted dismissively. "Hm." He finally said when he was done. "You are... not a cheater. You're just... smart."

I must've looked extremely perplexed when I said, "Thank you?"

He ignored me and rushed to the front of the classroom to grab something. "Y/N, can you please brew me a Wiggenweld potion?"

"Sir, I-"

He whipped towards me, the intensity of his action a bit frightening. "Do you not know how?"

"I... do." I admitted.

"Splendid. Get to work." He motioned toward the cauldron he set up on a desk near me.

I quickly brewed the potion he asked for, as well as multiple others he shot out to me as he became more and more frustrated with my success.

Finally, he seemingly gave up. "Fine. Follow me." I followed him through the halls, turning many times, and I was much too new to the school to know where we were going. This fact made me a bit nervous, but I instantly felt better when we walked into what must've been Dumbledore's office.

"Severus, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

"This student knows the whole first-year Potions curriculum!" He said, a bit exasperated.

Dumbledore's demeanour shifted at once. "Really?" He asked, inspecting me curiously.

"Yes." Snape confirmed, annoyed at his coworker. "We must find out if she knows the rest of the first-year curriculum so we can act accordingly."

"I agree." The headmaster said while nodding thoughtfully.

"Um," I started. "What exactly does that mean?"

For the first time since the start of the conversation, they seemed to remember that I could walk, talk, and listen. "We need to find out how much you know so we can decide whether to move you up a year."

☆☆☆☆☆

The test they had me take wasn't the least bit difficult.

Apparently, I passed with flying colours. They were discussing this urgently in the room next door. I sat patiently, waiting, waiting, waiting.

Finally, they opened the door. "We don't often do this. In fact, it's almost completely unheard of, but we'd like to move you up a year."

"Okay." I said quickly. That was fine with me. Everyone I knew and liked was a second year. 'But, I definitely don't like all the second years.' I thought of the rude Slytherin Hermione and I had the unfortunate encounter with. I shook my head to clear it of him.

"Wonderful. You'll have a new schedule in your dormitory tonight. For now, finish the rest your classes as scheduled."

Great. This is perfect. Thank Merlin for Hermione and her love of school.