My second and last day as a first year went relatively smoothly. No fatalities. Despite all the ghosts. I did end up naming my ferret Salazar, sort of according to Hermione's suggestion, though she expected me to be a Gryffindor. I liked Salazar much better than Godric anyway.

Gen and Ren were very excited when I told them I'd be joining them as a second year. They were very impressed by my achievement. I didn't get a chance to tell Hermione until dinner. I walked into the hall with Gen and searched the Gryffindor table for her and found her sitting with two boys who I assumed could only be Ron and Harry.

I walked up to her and tapped her on the shoulder. She turned to me and immediately what I thought was a very stressed expression turned to one of pure exaltation. "Y/N!" She exclaimed as she threw her arms around in a warm embrace. "What brings you here? How was your first day? Did you meet anyone nice? How did you do in your classes?"

"Hermione," I laughed. "I can't answer if you ask me another question before I get a chance!" She frowned teasingly but quieted so I could answer her questions.

"I'm here because I have news. My first day was great, for the most part. I met two very nice second year Slytherins I think I'll be good friends with. And, actually, my schoolwork was fantastic."

She smiled, happy I was doing okay without her. Then, my words sank in. She gasped. "What's your news?"

"I'm being moved up a grade. Because of you, I did so well in Potions that they made me take a test to see if they should move me up and I suppose I did well because here we are!"

Her jaw dropped. "Y/N! That's wonderful! I'm a bit jealous they didn't move me up, but I suppose I didn't have the opportunity to learn seeing as I didn't know magic even existed until I was already headed for Hogwarts." At that she turned to her friends. "You wizardborns are so lucky. Oh, I'm so proud of you!" She hugged me again.

She then turned back to her friends. "Oh, I suppose I should introduce you. Though, you basically already know each other from how much I talk about my amazing sister and my magical friends." She smiled. "Y/N, Harry. Harry, Y/N." She gestured to the brown-haired boy next to her.

I took his hand. "The Chosen One, as I live and breathe." I joked.

"The Genius Grade-Skipper." He teased back.

Hermione then turned to the redhead across from her. "And this is Ron." She said unenthusiastically.

"Geez, Hermione. No need to get so sentimental." I poked her side and she rolled her eyes.

I sighed, curious as to what that was.

I walked up to the Slytherin table and shot Ren and Gen a smile and a, "Hey!"

The rest of the night was uneventful, ending with Gen and I sitting on our beds and playing Never Have I Ever.

"Never have I ever... kissed a boy." She put her finger down.

I left mine up and said, "Never have I ever kissed a girl." Then put my finger down.

Her fingers stayed up. "Getting spicy!" She joked. "So, who do you like? Guys? Girls? Or both?"

I smiled. "I like to keep my options open. You?"

"I'm bi, too." Then she winked suggestively. I giggled.

We played for a bit longer but eventually we both got tired and went to bed.

The next morning I was sitting next to Ren when I saw that platinum blonde hair -and the boy attached- leaning over my desk.

"Move." he said dismissively.

I had to keep myself from bursting out laughing. "No!" I said incredulously.

That's when Gen leaned towards me. "You should probably just move, Y/N. That's Draco Malfoy."

He turned smug when he said, "You should listen to your friend. What are you even doing here, First Year?"

"They moved me up a year. Got a problem?"

He scowled. "Just you." Narrowing his eyes he stalked off, clearly upset at the fact that someone dared stand up to him. I rolled my eyes and turned to my friends.

Gen was staring at me, obviously shocked. "Dude. No one ever talks like that to Draco Malfoy except Harry Potter and his friends. His father  will hear about it!" She said the last part jokingly but gave me a look that said it was true.

☆☆☆☆☆

As I lay on my bed that night, I couldn't stop thinking about Malfoy. Who does he think he is? Consequently, the fact that I couldn't stop thinking about him also meant I couldn't sleep. I had an awfully restless night with nobody to blame other than that insufferable git.

Tossing and turning until deep into morning, I must've looked a complete wreck. My worries were confirmed when Ren offered me a cup of coffee with a pained look.

I groaned. "Do I look that bad?" I asked her fearfully.

Gen appeared next to me suddenly, as if out of nowhere, and said, "I'd shower if I were you." Shooting me a quick smirk, she shoved me towards the bathroom.

I took a fast shower, and walked out feeling quite refreshed. I had a feeling it would be quite a trying day. The girls confirmed that I looked as restored as I felt. We walked together to Defense Against the Dark Arts, giggling and laughing the whole way.

I had many similar nights, and mornings, throughout the next few months, thinking and dreaming about a variety of things, but the main object of my thoughts was the entitled platinum blonde who tried his hardest to get under my skin every day.

I would win our little rivalry, and then be free of constantly cooking up comebacks and ways to get petty revenge. Free of gritting my teeth all night dwelling over his snarky comments. For now, the only thing comforting me was the fact that I was sure he was up all night too, stressing about the same things as me.

The longer it went on, the more he consumed my mind; the more my hatred grew. I swore, if it was the last thing I'd do; I would get him back.