Too soon, he pulled away, and I looked up at him. He was smirking. As per freaking usual. I immediately straightened. "So what exactly are we doing here?"

"We're playing hooky. I thought you knew?" His ever-present smirk deepened.

I rolled my eyes and took a deep, steadying breath. "No, you bloody buffoon! I meant between us. I want to stop the games, so can you please tell me what we're doing here? I never had you pegged for a romantic, or was I wrong?"

"Are you saying you want a relationship?" He breathed, putting an arm above my shoulder and towering over me. Merlin, he was tall. Tall and gorgeous. My breath hitched and he laughed. Relaxing his attitude, he dropped his arm.

He leaned against the wall and slid to the floor. I did the same. "To be completely honest, I don't know. I don't think I want to tell the whole school or anything, but I've been... enjoying spending time with you." He scowled at my grin. "When you're not being terribly annoying."

"Oh, yeah? I knew it! You fell for the dirty mudblood!" I nudged him with my elbow and he smiled.

"Don't be silly. I wouldn't say I've fallen for you. But you definitely fell for the entitled jerk." He kissed me, lightly at first, but soon he had me against the wall.

One of his hands was holding my face, the other was on my waist. I tangled my hands in his soft hair. And even though we were kissing, our eyes were open and locked on each other.

I examined every detail of his eyes, every sparkle not sure if there would ever be a moment like this again. I frowned at the thought.

His brows furrowed and he slowed what he had now moved to my jawline. "What's wrong?" He mumbled into my cheek.

"I- nothing." I pushed him gently away from me to look in his eyes. Merlin, those piercing grey eyes...

"That's not true." He whispered while turning his head away from me and standing up. He looked... sad, almost.

Nope. Draco Malfoy is an evil idiot. He doesn't get sad, and if he did, I wouldn't care. I don't care.

But, stupid me decided to instead say, "What's wrong with you?"

"I asked you first." He laughed a little. "You can keep your secret and I'll keep mine. After all, we're nothing. We don't care about each other, so it doesn't matter. We better get to class now. I only signed us out of Herbology."

And even though I'd been telling myself the same thing for weeks, his words stung as if I was madly in love with him.

I shook my head and followed him out of the room, walking faster this time to keep up.

☆☆☆☆☆

Ren greeted me with a soft pat on the back when I sat down next to her in DADA. I tried my best to ignore the curious glances being shot my way from Gen, who was making it exceedingly obvious that she was bursting with interest.

I swear she had a sixth sense for drama. I resolved to tell them after class in our dorm. Feeling better at having made a decision, I smiled and fixated onto the lesson.

☆☆☆☆☆

"Why weren't you in Herbology? Were you shagging someone?" She wasn't far off, but I was still shocked that she went there.

So, apparently, was Ren. "Genevieve Mabel Avery! You can't just ask someone that!"

Gen's face turned mocking and she copied Ren's tone. "Serena Lilith-"

Ren's eyes were murderous and her voice was laced with venom when she practically yelled, "SILENCIO!"

I was utterly gobsmacked to see Ren using her magic against someone, especially such a difficult spell against her best friend. Though it sounded more like a threat than a charm.

I thought Gen would be fuming, but her eyes were full of regret. I took a timid step forward, with my hands held out non-threateningly.

"Maybe we should all take a breath-"

Ren turned quickly to me, and I was surprised to see no anger on her face. "I'm not mad at her, she just got carried away." She shot Gen a cautionary glance and Gen grinned apologetically.

Ren hastily lifted her charm, and Gen sat on the bed. Though not before dropping to her knees and begging her best friend for forgiveness.

"I'm so sorry, Ren! I would never have done that on purpose! I'll be more careful!" Ren smiled and helped her gently up.

My friends patted the bed and I dropped down between them. Gen turned her to me and beamed cheekily. "So what were you doing, anyway?"

"Well, I wasn't shagging anyone." I guess my tone gave too much away because both girls' jaws dropped.!

Ren clutched my arm urgently. "You must tell us everything! Who?"

"I know! I was planning on telling you when he essentially kidnapped me..." I smirked at my friends' shocked expressions, knowing I had their full attention. "But first..." I glanced at the door and shot a quick Colloportus. "No interruptions."