~6~

Our first detention was mostly just us glaring at each other back and forth, and occasionally getting a quick insult in. We worked, for if we didn't, we would definitely be punished more. If not by Dumbledore then by our own boredom.

It was a painful ten hours, and we only got a break to eat lunch, but it was so worth it. Malfoy was pissed. I knew he would find some way to exact his revenge, but I doubted it could top mine.

The week after that torturesome Sunday was not a good one, though the Slytherins were not as mad as I thought they'd be about my little prank, and when I told Ren and Gen the truth, they laughed their heads off.

"I can't believe you actually pulled that off." Ren laughed to me one morning.

She was laying on my bed, playing with her long red hair which was sprawled across my blanket, and I sat at the foot of the bed with my head leaning against her shoulder.

"It was very satisfying!" I chuckled back to her.

She sighed. "It was impressive, is what it was. I could never. But won't it suck for you? Having to spend so much time with that bothersome prick?"

"Worth it." I chirped.

No, the reason my week was so unpleasant was much more unsettling. When Mrs. Norris was petrified, we all assumed it was a prank by some immature teenager looking to scare some of his or her friends.

But, when Colin Creevey was petrified, the chaos began again. Everyone was worried about who would be next, and who they could trust. Therefore, the atmosphere of our school was a tense one at best.

☆☆☆☆☆

Malfoy and I were fulfilling another one of our punishments one day when he came up to me, frighteningly calm, and grabbed me by my arm. My heart started pumping wildly at his touch, and I scowled.

"What do you wa-" I started to say but was rudely interrupted.

"Come on."

He led me through the library to the very back, almost into the Restricted Section, before he pulled me to the side and peeked over his shoulder worriedly. I felt butterflies in my stomach which I managed to suppress and ignore.

When he turned his head back to me, I had an eyebrow cocked suggestively. "Oh, shut up." He whispered, slightly shoving me further away from him. "Stop being an idiot for five seconds and look."

Curiously, I followed his eyes to find my sister looking in the Restricted Section. "What is she doing?" I found myself asking no one in particular.

Malfoy felt the need to answer. "I was hoping you would know."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't follow my sister around like a creep. Unlike you." I said pointing an accusing finger at his chest. He took a deep breath and, still alarmingly calm, stared straight into my eyes.

"Well, your sisters' not trying to prove you to be the heir of Slytherin."

I gave him a confused look, and this time, grabbed his arm and dragged him away. "What on Earth are you talking about?"

He shot me an amused grin. "Oh, she didn't tell you? Her and her little hero friends are searching for the heir of Slytherin, and they suspect me."

I crossed my arms. "Honestly, I'm not shocked."

He narrowed his eyes at me and adjusted his stance to a defensive one. "It's not me." He said as if it was the most ridiculous notion in the world.

"Great. Well, I have to go confront her about this. Bye." I said sarcastically and began to walk back to the Restricted Section. He grabbed my wrist again and I gave him a warning look.

"Wait." He said, and the tone in his voice made me falter. "The Chamber of Secrets, it's... dangerous."

"And why do you care what dangers I spend my time facing?" I smirked. "I mean, I thought it was just a little crush, but do you really like me that much, Malfoy?"

His unusually calm demeanor was abruptly thrown out the window when I said that, and with a growl, he shoved me against the wall. "Do you ever just shut up, Granger?"

My breath hitched as I looked into his infuriatingly gorgeous eyes. "I-" But I didn't get a chance to finish, because his lips were on mine, effectively silencing the response I had already forgotten.

Our mouths were moving furiously in sync, and for a moment I forgot that it was my enemy I was kissing in the corner of the school library.

When I remembered though, I shoved him off me and back against the wall. Which I doubted I could actually do if he was fighting back.

"What in Merlin's fucking name was that, Malfoy?" I whisper-screamed at him.

He smirked, which made me even angrier. I shoved him against the wall further so that his back was flush against it. "Oh, come on, Granger. Don't act like you weren't kissing me back just as passionately." He mocked.

My expression turned incredulous as I stared at him. "How is it that you admitted to your crush on me and you kissed me but I'm the one getting teased?" He shrugged, and he still looked so aggravatingly confident! So, I decided to do the one thing he wouldn't expect.

I glared directly into his eyes as I approached him, and then closed the distance between us suddenly. We had been full-on making out, and I found myself feeling lucky we hadn't already been caught and punished when he lightly pushed me off of him.

His hair was messy and his cheeks were pinkish, so my plan had clearly worked. I smiled at his disheveled manner until I noticed he was looking at me. Seemingly scrutinizing my reaction. But when I realized what he was thinking about I couldn't help but scoff.

"Guess it's not just me." He chuckled to himself. Then he pulled me back to him and the battle was back on.