"What? WHAT! You what?" I found myself wishing I had used a Muffliato charm on the door while I watched Gen's reaction. I had expected it, of course, but I was still startled at her intensity.

Suddenly, she sat down on the bed across from us. She stared absentmindedly out the window, clearly processing the news.

Ren, on the other hand, looked excited. "I'm so glad you told us! I don't know if I could've handled keeping the secret for much longer. I'm very happy for you!"

I blushed a little. "It's not like a relationship or something, I just didn't want to keep secrets from you guys." I noticed she made a face at the word 'secrets'. Then her words sank in. "Wait. You knew!"

"Yes, silly. I saw him drag you into a closet one day, and then again the next day. Taking into consideration your sudden mood changes towards one another, I put two and two together."

At this, Gen stood. "You knew that our best friend was snogging Malfoy and you didn't tell me?" Her voice was thick and instantly my thoughts clouded with worry.

I jumped to her side and took her hand. "What's wrong? Are you mad?" She didn't pay me any attention.

"Are you kidding me, Ren? We're supposed to be friends. You're supposed to tell me things!"

Ren frowned. "It wasn't my secret to tell. Besides, you have a secret you haven't shared with the group, don't you, Genevieve?"

I feared I'd get whiplash from the abrupt atmosphere changes between these two.

"Guys, guys. Let's all chill out, yeah?" I noted that I'd placed myself in the middle of the girls. Figuratively and literally.

"Gen, aren't you excited? I thought you'd go crazy when I told you!"

"I'm not really sure." She shrugged.

I scanned her face cautiously. "What do you mean?"

"Just, there are things about the Malfoys. Things you don't know."

I raised my arms and let them fall. "Like what exactly? What's so wrong with him?"

She lightly pushed me back until I fell back into a sitting position next to Ren. She turned away before she started. "Firstly, his aunt's a deatheater. Bellatrix Lestrange." I felt my jaw drop but she continued. "And, he doesn't have the best track record either."

Without meaning to, I leaned in. "What did he do?"

"First, he's mean to everyone. You know that! He's mean to you! Second, he's only the seeker because he bought new brooms for the Slytherin team. Not to mention he protests your existence just because of who your parents are."

She was growing increasingly more upset as she ticked off all his faults on her fingers. "And, worst of all, his family are all deatheaters! He's probably already a deatheater-in-training!"

The room went silent as her words sank in. But I didn't want to, I couldn't process what she was telling me. Draco, a deatheater? It didn't seem to connect in my mind.

I chose to focus on something else, so I chose the other part of what she said that confused me. How did she know who was and wasn't a deatheater?

"How do you know who is and isn't a deatheater?" I narrowed my eyes as I questioned her. Both of them began to squirm. "What's going on?" I pressed.

"We're really not supposed to tell you, Y/N." Ren said evenly.

"In fact, we've been sworn to secrecy." Gen interjected. I couldn't think. This was all getting to be too much. All I wanted was to tell my friends about Draco, and now they're keeping secrets from me?

"What are you talking about? Who's swearing you to secrecy?"

Ren seemed to be folding in on herself, and Gen looked sad, guilty. I could tell they wouldn't tell whatever they were keeping from me. "We really, really can't say, Y/N. I'm sorry."

"Whatever. I'm going to bed." I stood and moved to the other side of the room, lying down and facing towards the wall.

I heard the desperation in Gen's voice as she spoke quietly to me. "Oh, c'mon, Y/N. Please don't be like that."

The last thing I heard before drifting into a restless sleep was Ren telling Gen to let me be.

☆☆☆☆☆

The next morning, I almost didn't go to class. I could've said I was sick. I felt sick. Probably also looked it. But I had to talk to Malfoy, and I wouldn't get the chance if I stayed in bed all day.

So, reluctantly, I pulled myself out of bed and got ready.

I was barely on time for class, but I managed to avoid detention. Instantly, as I stepped into class, my eyes locked with his. It made me nervous that I could almost hear what he was asking with his eyes. What's going on?

I tried to convey my feelings through my eyes like he had, and could only hope he knew what I was telling him. Later.

He seemed to, because he nodded ever so slightly and turned back to focus on whatever Blaise Zabini was saying.

☆☆☆☆☆

After all our classes were over, I started walking, knowing Malfoy would follow close behind. He did. After checking that it was empty, I slipped in to a random room, leaving the door slightly open so he could enter behind me.

I leaned anxiously against a nearby desk, and watched him step into the room, graceful as ever. "Hey. Are you alright?" He said gently, as if he knew I was upset.

It took me by surprise, I didn't know he could do anything gently. He was aggressive, egomaniacal, and, troublesome. But he was worried about me? He wanted me to be okay? It didn't add up.

I averted my gaze towards the ground, fearing that I might burst into tears if I looked him in the eyes. He shut the door behind him and gingerly approached me.

I breathed in shakily, which seemed to be the go-ahead for him to take me into his arms. It was weird at first, being in his embrace, but soon it was comfortable and familiar.

When my breathing had calmed, he put me at arm's length and lifted my face to look into his eyes. "What happened?"

"I-" I took a deep breath, annoyed at how pathetic I sounded. "I'm not really sure. I guess it's just a lot of things. But it was stupid to go to you. We're not- It was nice of you to do this. I'm sorry."

He was smiling, he looked near laughter. Instantly, I was pissed. I knew this was stupid. He didn't give a crap about me in the least. Merlin, was I an idiot.

I shrugged him away from me and stormed out of the room. Or, tried to, anyway. He had a hold on my arm. "Please don't leave."