02. Waking Up

I gasp as I sit up, my hand clutching to my chest. My lungs felt heavy and it was a little hard to breathe, but I couldn't remember why. What happened? Where was I?

I furrow my eyebrows as I look around, seeing that I was laying on the side of a river. My eyes dart around when I see an ambulance and a couple of police officers rushing around up on a bridge, but I couldn't remember why. I look down at myself and see that my clothes were soaking wet; along with my hair, which was now laying down flat on my forehead.

I scramble to my feet as I start to run towards the bridge, wanting to know what in the hell was going on. It felt like something terrible happened, but I couldn't place my finger on it. All I could remember was Jade and I driving down the road talking about my ex girlfriend. Everything after that was a blur.

I crawl on my hands and knees up the hill before I reach the bridge, noticing that it was more chaotic than it was from down below. My legs become wobbly as I walk down the bridge, scanning all of the police officers and their vehicles. Something bad happened here, but what?

"Excuse me?" I ask as I walk up to an officer, noticing by his name tag that he was the Sheriff. Sheriff Stilinski to be exact. "What happened here?"

The man doesn't even look at me before walking around me, acting as if he didn't hear me speak a word. I shake my head and furrow my eyebrows before turning to another officer, asking the exact same thing. He walks away from me again, just like the sheriff.

I turn to go ask another officer before something catches my attention. One of the paramedics was rolling a gurney towards the ambulance; the sheet that covered the body was halfway open. My eyes well with tears when I see that it's Jade.

"Jade!" I scream as I run over to her, placing my hands on the side of the gurny. Her face was pale and her lips were a cold blue, her eyes also latched shut. I noticed that her hair was wet and that so were her clothes, and that was when I realized that she must have went over the bridge.

The man pulls the gurny away from me, causing me to run after. "Stop! I'm her friend!"

The man doesn't listen as he loads Jade up on the ambulance, shutting the doors. I look into the window, screaming for them to stop, to see the man take the sheet and cover her face with it.

She was dead.

The ambulance drives off and I stand in the road and cry, not believing what just happened. My best friend died. My one and only friend died below this bridge.

Tears fall down my face as I turn back to the police men, running over and screaming to know what was going on. My blood boiled with rage as I shouted in their faces, none of them even noticing that I was here.

"Hey!" I scream at one of the deputies, who's name tag read as Parrish. "Why won't you listen to me!"

The man doesn't even flinch as I shout at him, myself finally having enough. My hand bawls into a fist as I go to punch the man, who doesn't even notice that I'm standing here. When I go to punch the man, my fist flies right through him, like I was invisible or something.

I back away from the officer, my eyes wide. I stare at my fist, shaking my head. "What the hell..."

"We found another body!" I hear an officer scream. I whip around to see them drag another body from the water, one that made my heart sink.

It was me.

I slowly walk over to my body, noticing my pale skin and dark blue lips. My eyes were wide open in fear and my hair was flopped over in front of my face. Tears stream from my eyes as I kneel beside my body, staring at my lifeless eyes. That was when it hit me.