Epilogue

I had taken Allison to the hospital for safety measures, but she was fine in the end. They had said that she had been borderline dead, but she pushed through somehow. The word miracle came up, and that perfectly described it. I don't know what I would have done if she would have died, especially since it was for me.

It's been a couple of days now, which were very interesting. I had spent most of them trying to get used to being alive again; such as eating and sleeping. It felt so good to be able to do those things again, it was hard to describe. There were a few obstacles that came up of course, but we managed to get around them.

After Chris had found out his daughter was in the hospital, he came running as fast as he could. When he got there he of course had no idea who I was or how I even found his daughter. The only explanation Allison and I could come up with was that I had been there when she..."slipped and hit her head while getting into the bathtub".

"How in the hell did you know she had done that?" Chris says, it almost feeling like an interrogation.

My eyes are wide. "I had heard her fall."

Chris raises his eyebrows. "You're telling me that you're one of Allison's friends, one I've never heard about, and you were just over at our house while she was taking a bath?"

I gulp, not knowing how to answer to that. Allison slams her palm to her forehead as she lies in the hospital bed, knowing that this was going downhill. "Dad, he came in after I started to get in the bath. I had forgotten he had asked me if he could come over to talk."

"Talk about what?" Chris pushes farther.

I exchange a glance with Allison before she's speaking quickly. "His parents. They kicked him out and he has no where else to go."

Chris looks sympathetic then. "I'm so sorry...I would invite you to stay with us but we're going to France in a couple of days."

My eyebrows furrow as Allison's eyes widen. "France? You didn't tell me about this!"

"We need to get away from all of this," Chris says, and I knew that he had a good point. "Too much has happened and we need a break. I didn't tell you because I knew you'd be upset."

"I can't go to France," Allison pouts, sitting up farther in the hospital bed. "How long?"

"Couple of months."

My stomach knots. I couldn't imagine not seeing Allison for a couple of months. "What if he came with us?"

Chris' eyes widen. "I'm sorry, but unless he has the money to pay for it himself, he's out of luck."

I look over at Allison, giving her a look so she would just drop it and give up. She was going to France whether she liked it or not, and I wasn't going to get in the way of that. "What if I payed for him?"

"What? No," I say as Allison nods her head, looking so sure of herself.

"Yeah, I can totally pay for you. I've got a lot of money left over from birthday's and other holidays, not to mention from when I used to work at the diner before we moved here."

"I'm not going to France with you, I'm sorry Allison," I say, but I really did want to. I didn't want to imagine not being able to see her for that long, but this is the time she needs to find herself again. After all, she lost herself for awhile, and she needed to recover. Plus, no way in hell was I going to let her pay for me.

Allison gives me the puppy eyes. "Please, Corey?"

"For someone who almost died you sure are optimistic," Chris laughs silently as he crosses his arms, but I could tell by the look on his face that he knew something more was going on between Allison and I. He was her father; of course he knew.