xv.

2009.
8 years.

"I promise", he wiped the tears from Junoh's cheeks and smiled, "that I will marry you when we're old enough".

Her eyes lit up instantly. She had been sad ever since her parents had gotten a divorce, and would cry whenever she remembered they didn't love each other.

Mommy always told her she and her oppa were the result of her mommy and daddy's love. So if they didn't love each other anymore, did that mean they didn't want her anymore, either?

"How will you know it's the right time to marry me?", she asked in between hiccups.

Beomgyu shrugged.

"My mom told me that she knew she had to marry my dad because she felt butterflies in her tummy", he replied.

"Did she eat the butterflies?"

His brows furrowed and his lips formed a thin line as he was deep in thought. How could you feel butterflies in your stomach? And if you ate them, wouldn't they be dead?

"I don't know", he shrugged again. "But when we are older and I feel them, I will ask you to marry me".

"And we will be happy forever?"

"I will try my best to make you happy forever", he raised his pinky towards her and she smiled while bringing hers towards his. "I always want you to smile, Jun".

"I always want you to smile too, Beomgyu", she whispered and they interlaced their pinkies. "But what if you never ever feel them?"

"I am sure you're the only person in this world that could make me feel butterflies, Junoh!", he smiled widely and she did too. "And if I don't feel butterflies, then I will make sure I feel other animals so I can marry you".

"I want that", Junoh started painting her drawing again and he hummed. "I want to be your best friend forever".

"I want that too!", Beomgyu passed her the green crayon and he took the blue for himself. "Oh! Let's make a contract".

He took a new paper from the stash and drew the outline of his hand. He then took Junoh's smaller hand and drew the outline of it with another color. They signed their names and Beomgyu stamped the paper on each corner with a "Good Job!" round stamp that his hyung had given him a while ago.

"Now we will be best friends forever and ever".

Suddenly, Junoh's mommy entered the living room and smiled at the two little kids.

"Hi sweethearts! I thought you'd be playing outside in the mud", the woman put her purse on the entrance table along with her keys and took her shoes off.

"Junoh wanted to paint", Beomgyu answered.

"Oh", Junoh's mommy nodded and kissed both kid's foreheads. "Did you want to?"

"Nah, I wanted to play outside. But it's okay, she is happy", he replied and the woman just nodded along with a big smile.

"Mommy look! We made a contract", Junoh pointed towards the paper with the kid's hands outlined and their names written on it.

"Wow! Why did you sign a contract?"

"Because he will marry me", Junoh said as if it was obvious. "He said that when he feels butterflies in his tummy, he will marry me!!"

"You'll make a great couple in the future", the woman caressed her daughter's hair. "You're the only one that can put up with her", she winked towards the little boy.

"I know", his chest puffed out in pride and he nodded. "I will always do it".

"I'm glad", the woman walked towards the kitchen. "Because I will not last forever".

The two kids walked towards the table and sat, while the woman took out some cookies, fruit and milk for them to have. She sighed and shrugged.

"Junoh will be older and she will not live with me anymore", she placed the food in the table.

"No mommy! I will always live with you!"

"Ah, baby, it's okay", the woman giggled at her daughter's reply. "When you don't live with me, you can live with Beomgyu, right?"

"Yes, and we will be happy forever like the princesses in movies!", Beomgyu nodded excitedly. "Junoh, I will be your prince charming!"

"Okay", she nodded. "But I will be a woman who makes her own choices, and has her own life".

"I've taught you well", the woman giggled.

"You can still be my princess", Beomgyu interlaced his pinky with hers. "Because I will always love you".