xxiii.

2007
6 years.

"We goed to the beach with my brother and my mommy", Junoh told her whole class.

"Went, Junoh. We went to the beach".

"Oh", her cheeks burned red. "Yes, miss Cho". She kept on telling her Chuseok fun story.

Over the Korean thanksgiving, her mommy bad taken her and Yeonjun to the beach, in Jeolla, the most southern province, where grandpa and grandma lived. They used to stay at home, but mommy decided they could just go and visit her parents.

Apparently, daddy had too much work, so he would be staying at home. Junoh had talked to him every day after brushing her teeth before sleep, but it wasn't the same. She wished he would've come, that way it would've been more fun.

She still had fun, though. Grandma had asked her and Yeonjun to help in the kitchen to make the food, and she had gotten a new apron and helped with adding the spices and mixing. Yeonjun was allowed to break the eggs and add the ingredients, and mommy overlooked and took some bits here and there just to check.

A couple of days, they had gone out to the beach. Grandma and grandpa's house was only 20 minutes away by walk from the beach, and they walked it every evening after cleaning out lunch. So, the days mommy wasn't busy with an important phone call, her and Junoh and Yeonjun would join them.

Mommy had told Junoh and Yeonjun that even hen they were the bestest kids, they shouldn't be running around alone with grandma and grandpa, because if an emergency happened she preferred to be there. So they only ran out in the beach when mommy was there to keep an eye on them.

She had soaked her feet in the water, holding onto grandpa's hand.

"I really like this", she giggled. "When the water goes back in, it feels like it wants to take me with it".

"Junoh-yah", the old man said. "I love the sea too, but I don't think you should want to be taken by it. It's good to like it, but you also need to respect it, and know you belong here and not there".

"I know", she smiled up at him. "I think I found my soulmate, and he belongs here too, not in the sea", she replied.

"Your soulmate?", the old man was holding in a giggle. She nodded, as it was so obvious that the older brother of kid that had now been her friend for over a year was the boy she was destined with.

Beomsoo was dreamy, and cared for her, and scolded Yeonjun when he made fun of her. He was athletic and now he was growing tall, so she knew he would also be very handsome.

"When you love someone, I think the best thing you can give them is a little token".

"What is a toke?"

"A token is a little gift for them, that means you thought of the one you loved in that moment, and wanted to give them a little something so they remember you".

"Like a rock?"

"If it's a very pretty rock, then yes!", grandpa smiled. "Grandma always comes home on Wednesdays after her knitting club, and she brings me one of those english teas I love so much, that they sell for takeout on a store next to the community center".

"Every Wednesday?"

"Every Wednesday", he replied. "No matter if we've had a little argument, or if one of us is angry at the other... she always brings me an english tea, one plump of honey and one ice cube on it, to melt on the way".

"Should I pick a rock for my soulmate?"

"I will help you with it, buttercup", he smiled. "We will get your soulmate the most beautiful rock this beach holds".

She sat next to Beomgyu after finishing her story about Chuseok break, and then another kid went up to the class and started talking about theirs.

"I think making kimchi sounds so tiring but so cool", he greeted her and gave her a grape-flavored candy. "Here, I got one extra".

"Nice!", she smiled and popped it into her mouth. "Did you go out of the city for Chuseok?"

"Nope, just stayed home", he smiled. "With hyung we watched a lot of movies and made popcorn and dad helped us make an apple pie".

"That sounds cool too!", she beamed at him. "Someday you will make me an apple pie", she pointed her pinky towards him.

"Yes!", he intertwined his pinky on hers. "It was so yummy we finished it in two days!"

They talked a little more and before they knew it, it was time to go home. Junoh started putting her stuff in her backpack and found the rock. Gasping, she took it in her fingers, thinking about Choi Beomsoo.

"What is that?"

"A rock"

"Oh, lemme see! I love rocks", he replied. She turned around, her cheeks burning red. "Wow, it's so beautiful and it's almost shaped like a heart!"

Junoh nodded. It was the perfect rock.

"I wish I could go to the beach and find one like this one! I bet there's so many cool rocks out there! I am going to tell my daddy so maybe we can go find rocks over the winter break! Do you think the cool rocks are still going to be there by December?"

Junoh just blinked at him. Beomgyu's eyes were glimmering so much they looked like stars. It was like he actually loved rocks. Suddenly, Junoh felt bad.

She had picked a rock for Beomsoo but nothing for Beomgyu. And Beomgyu loved rocks and crystals.

"You can have this", she pressed her hands with the rock on his chest.

"For real?", his eyes grew big and a smile pushed through his lips. "This is the best gift ever! Thank you, Junoh!", he hugged her and then put the rock carefully inside his backpack. "I will take care of it forever".

She nodded and watched him walk off to his brother. Her own brother was waiting at the door and she skipped towards him. She didn't know it then, but this was the first token she'd ever gotten for her soulmate, even when it was unintentional.