Chapter 15

Farai's pov

It's finally winter break and I'm just tryna chill. Lindiwe and I have been hanging out a lot because she's going away with Amita for a week. The winter break is 3 weeks long and you won't catch me studying, maybe for 3 hours tops but who wants to do that.

"Have a good road trip ight? Message me when you get there." I tell Lindiwe and Amita through the car window.

"Of course, I'll be sure to send you lots of pictures." Amita winks at me. She knows I walked in on them that one time and won't stop with these awful comments, makes me shake on the inside.

"Okay, okay make sure they aren't porn rated." I reply, smirking. "See you in a week guys." I wave at them as Amita pulls off the pavement.

Amita and Lindiwe obviously took some time off work but I have to cover for them for the first two days, I am most definitely not looking forward to this. Thank God they didn't take Lind and I's car because I'd have no car, due to me working for 2 other people I'm closing today and tomorrow.

***

"Wassup Rick, isn't your shift over?" I ask one of the employees.

"Yeah but our manager hates working so they were fired, GUESS WHO'S THE NEW MANAGER." Rick shouts jumping over the counter. Rick is probably my work best friend besides my actual friends, he's 25 and he's really fun and hyper a lot. "Ask me who has a raise, come on ask me."

"Who got a raise Rick?" I question sliding onto the counter.

"YOU. You work a lot, try hard, you know how to handle customers and you're just an amazing employee." He responds grabbing his bag from the back. "I do have to go but stay safe here okay? If you have to lock the doors because of some fucked up creep that's alright."

Ahh, the raise. I've been waiting for it, our last manager wasn't even here most of the time. When she was here she wasn't even working, her husband's brother owns the shop so that's why she was able to keep the job for so long.

The day has been long and tiring, I haven't heard from Chris or Roman and I've just realised because I've been too busy. I could text them but I have a job to do.

"Hey um can I get- fuck." A familiar voice starts, looking up at the person I see Jordan. Oh Jordan was my best friend back in Britain, we parted ways because he started hanging around with the wrong people and they weren't any good for him. "Farai?"

"Jordan, what are you doing here?" I ask all of this is so confusing, it's baffling me.

"You know I have family here, we've come down here during the Christmas break. By the way I've kept my promise, your siblings are doing fine and I check up on them whenever I can. They miss you and Lind a lot, Farai." Jordan leans on his elbows looking at me.

"I know, I know but I have no communication with them. Lind and I plan on visiting them soon, probably for Christmas. I've been saving up, trying to at least. A few days before Christmas we'll head back to the UK and see what we can do." I sigh deeply, I just want to see them again. My sister is 17 now and my brother is 15. Lind and I treat them as though they're 5 years old because that's how they act. "Enough of this, how has life been treating you?"

"I've found new friends, I realised you were right about the others. They were caught with illegal shit and they're doing time, they tried to bring me down with them and that's when I realised they ain't shit. I should've listened to you from the beginning and I'm so sorry." Jordan admits.

"How lovely of you, where are you people then?" I ask, sitting on my chair in the corner.

"I don't even know bro, doing some random ass shit. I'm cuffed, finally got a girl. She's so beautiful, has a sick personality and just knows when to do something. If you know what I mean. Her brothers are cool. I met her in uni, she shares the same dorm room as Tia." Jordan brags. "Have you met someone?"