Facts 181-190,Space

181. Earth is referred to as the BLUE PLANET. Because from space, the oceans combined with our atmosphere make our planet look blue.

182. The only married couple to fly together in space were Jan Davis and Mark Lee, who flew aboard the Endeavour space shuttle from September 12-20, 1992.

183. The Hubble Space Telescope weighs 12 tons (10,896 kilograms), is 43 feet (13.1 meters) long, and cost $2.1 billion to originally build.

184. Given their sheer volume, ninety-nine percent of the living space on the planet is found in the oceans. The average depth of the oceans is 2.5 miles (4 km). The deepest point lies in the Mariana Trench, 6.8 miles (10.9 km) down. By way of comparison, Mount Everest is only 5.5 miles (8.8 km) high.

185. There has only been one satellite destroyed by a meteor, it was the European Space Agency's Olympus in 1993.

186. Any space vehicle must move at a rate of 7 miles per second in order to escape the Earth's gravitational pull.

187. Today's top fuel dragsters take off with more force than the space shuttle.

188. An Astronaut can be up to 2 inches taller returning from space. The cartilage disks in the spine expand in the absence of gravity.

189. You would have to milk 260 cows for an entire year to fill a space shuttle's external fuel tank with 529,000 gallons of milk

190. If NASA sent birds into space they would soon die; they need gravity to swallow.

The Big Book of Factsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें