Facts 241-250, water

241. The average African family uses about 5 gallons (23 liters) of water a day. The average American family uses more than 250 gallons (946 liters) a day.

242. One billion people worldwide do not have access to safe drinking water.

243. Every 8 seconds, a child dies from contaminated water.

244. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that Americans annually take 40 trillion gallons of water from the ground, and the rate of use is increasing 25% per decade. Scientists argue that ground water is being polluted and used at a rate that far outstrips nature's ability to cope.

245. A random study by the EPA revealed that employees of bottled water companies are not tested for disease, nor are they required to avoid the bottling area if they are sneezing from colds or have open cuts or infections on their hands.

246. A massive amount of pollutants are released into drinking water supplies each yearIn the United States, a massive amount of new toxins totaling nearly 18 billion pounds are released into the groundwater, soil, and atmosphere annually.

247. Americans empty 2.5 million plastic water bottles an hour. Each one takes 500 years to decompose.

248. An average water molecule will spend 9 days in the atmosphere, 2 weeks in a river, 10 years in a large lake, 3,000 to 5,000 years in an ocean, 10,000-100,000+ years underground, and 10,000 to 1,000,000+ years in an Antarctic ice cap.

249. Contaminants in tap water, such as lead, can increase the risk of learning disorders.

250. Widespread city infrastructures are decaying at a rapid rate, which increases the types of dangerous pollutants in the water.