251-260,Gold

251. Gold is so rare that the world pours more steel in an hour than it has poured gold since the beginning of recorded history.

252. Gold has been discovered on every continent on earth.

253. Gold melts at 1064.43° Centigrade. It can conduct both heat and electricity and it never rusts.

254. Due to its high value, most gold discovered throughout history is stillin circulation. However, it is thought that 80% of the world's goldis still in the ground.

255. Gold is so pliable that it can be made into sewing thread. An ounce ofgold can be stretched over 50 miles.

256. The largest gold nugget ever found is the "Welcome Stranger" discoveredby John Deason and Richard Oates in Australia on February 5, 1869. Thenugget is 10 by 25 inches and yielded 2,248 ounces of pure gold. It wasfound just two inches below the ground surface.

257. Amid recession fears in March 2008, the price of gold topped $1,000 anounce for the first time in history.

258. Gold is chemically inert, which also explains why it never rusts and does not cause skin irritation. If gold jewelry irritates the skin,it is likely that the gold was mixed with some other metal.

259. One cubic foot of gold weighs half a ton. The world's largest goldbar weighs 200 kg (440 lb).

260. The Olympic gold medals awarded in 1912 were made entirely from gold. Currently, the gold medals just must be covered in six grams of gold.

Ill post more gold facts in the next part, because we all love gold!