Listen to the Silence

So, if you are too tired to speak, sit next to me, because I, too, am fluent in silence
-R Arnold

It's Friday afternoon. I come out of my college and sit in the cafeteria opposite to it. Re-calling all that happened this morning.

-Flashback-
"It's all because of you. You have ruined my life. Marrying you turned out to be the biggest and the deadliest mistake of my life." Shouted my mother.

I knew something had happened between my father and my mother.

"Same with me. Marrying you was the worst decision of my life. You too didn't give me any happiness, satisfaction. Nothing." Dad said, shouting at the top of his voice.

"You and your family have ruined my life. I just hate hate you all." said mom.

And this went on and on and on. The blame, the shouting and the screaming, the banging of doors etc. I got ready, packed my bag for today's lectures, took the keys and left the house. Without having my breakfast.

-Now-

"Ma'am!! Ma'am!!" the waitress spoke, trying to bring me back from my thoughts.

I reacted with a "hmm?"

"Ma'am, what would you like to have." the waitress asked politely.

"I would, I would..." I said, trying to figure out what I wanted going through the menu card placed in front of me.

"I would have liked to have something but I remembered some important work. I have to go. Thankyou." I said, getting off the chair in a hurry. "I'll pay your fair though."

"No it's fine. We don't charge for just sitting and spending some time over here." the kind waitress replied, maybe she saw it on my face. The sadness.

I thanked her, and walked out of the cafe. It was raining terribly outside. I didn't have my umbrella with me. I ran as fast as I could, trying to hold my tears back.

Long ago me and my sister stopped interfering in our parents' fight. It has equally effected her too. She escaped this everyday trauma by moving out. But, I was left behind with this shit. With time we accepted the reality that everything has changed, nothing is the same. We are no more a family. We live with this truth now, under the same roof, one member of this not-so family in an another city.

I reached the railway station. Caught the first train to Juhu.

-Aryan-

Manasvi came to the rehearsals fully drenched. I offered her my handkerchief. It was obviously not enough.

She wiped her face with my handkerchief. Giving back my handkerchief she thanked me.

"You are drenched, do you want to rehearse?" I asked her.

"Yes, of course. I came here all the way despite the rain to rehearse." she replied.

"Okay." I said.

We continued with the rehearsal for nearly three hours. Everyone started gathering their things and moving out. Manasvi too. I asked her to stop. She did. After everyone had left, I gathered my essentials and offered her to drop her at the railway station.

"No, it's fine. I'll manage." she replied.

"I'll drop you. I am going by the same route." I said.

"Okay. Fine. I'll come with you." she agreed.

We got into the car. I started driving and got a forward jerk, law of inertia of course, I thought to myself. We put the seat belts. I was so happy and content. I wanted to befriend her. I wanted to start a real conversation now. I started thinking what to ask? how to start a conversation? how to break the ice?

After a long silence between us, I finally asked her, "How's your college life going. Isn't it happening? I suppose, it is. And how does feel to be surrounded by so many fantasies. You know, at this age it feels like the whole world is ours, the mind is filled with ideas and enthusiasm, and the heart is full of love and laughter. You make terrible mistakes at this age, but there is also a room to correct them. This part of life is wonderful, you know. You make so many friends, and these friends stay with you forever. You share everything with them and listen to them too. What say? Don't you feel the same?"

I finished speaking and looked at her. She didn't seem to be listening to what I said.

"Anyways." I said, with an awkward laugh. "Would you like to hear some music?" I asked, increasing the volume of the radio.
"Na koi umang hai" played.

Here, I am trying to normalise the atmosphere and make it cheerful and these radio people are playing a pathetic, sad, depressed old song instead of playing a happy song made for youngsters, I thought to myself.

A long long silence filled the atmosphere. It started raining. It was taking us more time to reach the station that day. The road was full of cars, trying to find a way to move through the traffic. The honking, the arguments of rickshaw drivers, the constant whistles of the traffic police and between all this we both, sitting in my Mercedes Benz, a sad old song playing on the radio, and my mind trying to find a way, not through the traffic, but through this silence which I wasn't able to end.

What should I speak next? Or should I give her some time?
Questions, to which I wasn't able to find an answer.

I sincerely apologise for not updating from a past few months. But, believe me guys, I wasn't in the state of doing writing something new. The new academic year had started with a lot of studies, assignments and test, which didn't spare any time for me to write. Plus, my mental health had deteriorated too.

Anyways, now, I have decided to complete this story and update as soon as possible because some stories are worth writing, they are worth having a happy BEGINNING.

Hope you guys love this chapter. Please do vote and comment.

Keep reading, keep loving.

Thankyou ✨