Chapter 22

Emery grabs the bacon and I grab it from him, I open up the package, and put the bacon in the pan on the stove. 

“Cedes?” I nod my head and flip the pancake on another pan on the stove. “you’ve been really quiet since we came home from the camping trip yesterday. Is everything okay?” 

“Yeah everything’s fine,” I reinsure him. 

Emery lifts an eyebrow. “You sure?” 

I grab the pancake and put it on a plate then hand it to Emery. “Here ya go and yeah everything’s fine, I’m just tired from the trip that’s all,” I explain. Emery nods then sits at the table, I grab the other pancake and put it on my plate. I grab another plate and put the cooked bacon on it, then shut the stove off. I sit across Emery. “can I ask you a question?” 

“Shoot.” 

I swallow the piece of pancake in my mouth and speak up. “You said you’ve changed a lot, at least give me some kind of hint.” 

Emery laughs. “That’s not really a question.” 

I shrug. “Just tell me.” 

Emery rolls his eyes and grabs a couple pieces of bacon. “What is it story time?” I nod. “I’m a dick,” he answers. 

“Explain,” I say as I crease my eyebrows. 

Emery shrugs. “When I met my friends they weren’t the most nicest people ever, so as I started hanging out with them I got so used to their nastiness, I became nasty. You know throwing books down out of people’s hand, sleeping with girls then pushing them out of my bed, stealing booze, stealing cigarettes, and all that other shiznet. I got busted way too many times, I was sent to prison more times then I can count. It just got out of hand so I was sent to boot camp. I was actually in boot camp when my mom passed, I’m just hoping to make a better life for myself here,” Emery explains. 

“That’s not all that happened is it?” I ask him. 

Emery shakes his head. “I’ll be in the car,” he declares then he’s out the door.  

I knew Emery still isn’t telling me something because before when I asked him to tell me, he always flipped on me. He’s defiantly still hiding something, but could it be worst then going to jail? Or not being there when your mom is dying? Emery’s defiantly hiding something worst, you don’t tell someone what he just told me as simple as he did. He’s baby coating it for the worst part. 

With a sigh I push my chair back and put my plate in the sink and head out into the my car where Emery is waiting. I’m just surprised Emery actually opened up to me, before when I asked he would flip out on me, but he actually shared something with me. Does this mean we’re getting somewhere with each other? Maybe we were getting somewhere, maybe. I hope we are I really do. Maybe a little more down the rode Emery will eventually tell me everything, I’m not going to force him to tell me everything right away. I understand he needs time to tell me and I respect that. A little. I just hope Emery will tell me everything and no matter how bad it is I’ll still be there for him, or try to be if he lets me. 

“Volleyball try outs this Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday!” Jamie, the volleyball captain, yells as she hands out try out flyers. “oh, Cedes are you trying out again?” Jamie asks as I walk by her, I turn around, and nod. “here take one it says when and where. 

I grab it from her. “Thanks.” Jamie smiles at me and continues to pass the flyers out. 

“God, I love volleyball season!” Cade adds as he walks beside me.