Prologue

Silence fell upon my hospital room as I realized what had just happened.

Then anger began to bubble over.

I roared and ripped out my IV, stumbling to the floor as I tried to walk. I grit my teeth and willed my legs to hold me up.

I began to swear loudly. Hopefully there weren't any children nearby...

I began to pound on the mirror, hoping it would liquefy like it did for Kirstie.

But every time I hit the glass I was met with excruciating pain.

My throat became raw from yelling, my body aching. Tears of grief and anguish slipping down my cheeks.

I trusted her....

I was surprised the nurses haven't come to my aid yet. Then again, I'm on one of the higher floors (Not sure which one) and the hospital elevators are slower than molasses.

Why was she still here after visiting hours? Why did she lie to me? Why did she betray me?

I stopped pounding and curled up into a ball on the cold tile, sobbing.

It wasn't because of the pain; I've gotten used to it.

I was scared. Scared out of my skin. My friends could die. I'll know the pain Scott felt when he lost Alex.

I need to tell them. I need to warn them.

I heard running footsteps, growing gradually louder as they approached my room.

"Mr. Grassi!" One nurse cries out.

"Why did you let her in here?" I asked between sobs.

"Let who in?"

"Kirstie. She was in here when I woke up."

I knew the nurses were sharing confused glances when I didn't get a reply.

"We didn't let anyone in your room."

"What?"

It's almost 3 in the morning, visiting hours end at 6 p.m. I have no idea how she got in here."

I sniffled, wiping away any stray tears.

"Why did you take out your IV, Mr. Grassi?" A nurse asks, sitting on the floor beside me.

"Because I was trying to get to her. To Kirstie."

"Where did she go?"

I can't tell her the truth. I can't say Kirstie jumped out the window; they would've found her by now.

I decided to tell a half-truth. "Gone."

The nurses didn't question; they just hooked me back up and upped my morphine levels a bit.

"Go back to sleep, Mr. Grassi. We'll figure this all out in the morning."

"No." I replied. "Call my friends. Get them here. I don't care if it's three a.m. I need to see them."

The nurses nodded, and they all scurried out the door.

I sighed, closing my eyes.

I never should've trusted Kirstie.

But hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

A few minutes later my friends came running in.

"Mitch, what's wrong?" Scott asks, scanning my body.

"No, Scott, it's not me. It's Kirstie."

"Kirstie?" Avi echoes.

I swallowed hard. "She betrayed us. She said she would eliminate all of you."

They were silent, their feelings of shock and betrayal written on their faces.

"That can't be true..." Avi whispers. He clenched his hands into fists. "It's not true! Kirstie would never do that!"

I closed my eyes. It was hurting Avi, but I needed to warn him. "I wish I could say I was lying but I'm not, Avi. Kirstie's a traitor. She was using us."

Avi shook his head as I said this. "But why? Why would she do this?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. But I need all of you to stay away from your mirrors. That's how they get you. I can't lose you guys. I can't!"

Scott and Kevin nod, then leave.

Avi stood there for a second, clenching and unclenching his fists.

"What evidence do you have, Mitch?" He asks, looking up at me.

I sighed. I didn't have any, truly. I just had my words.

"Exactly." Avi says after I remain silent. "Then what right do you have to accuse her?"

"You don't have to believe me, Avi." I said. "But please stay away from your mirror. That's all I ask."

"Mitch, I..." Avi's voice trailed off.

"I know this is hard for you to believe, Avi. I still don't quite believe it myself. I keep wishing I was just delirious, but I wasn't. I know you loved Kirstie, but you have to trust me, Avi. Please."

Avi looks back up at me and nods.

He walks out without another word.