𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢: once an explorer a time long ago

[Madisons POV]:

No sleep. I got no sleep last night and for the first time it wasn't because of the flame and its effect on my mind.

I just physically could not get my brain to rest instead tossing and turning in Octavia and I's room as I think about all the possible outcomes of this war. I want to believe in my heart that we will win, that I could lead my people to victory but what would I know? I was never a fighter, soldier, or warrior.

I was a neuroscience student, trained by my own sister. And well, an explorer but that barely mattered now.

Octavia was right about one thing, it's the warriors that save the world.

Right now, her and I along with Indra are making our way to the bunkers server room where Monty had set up his equipment, wanting to get an update on whether or not Echo succeeded in planting the thumb drive.

We enter the room and Octavia takes no time in asking, "Well? Any word?"

Inside are only Harper and Bellamy, and Harper quickly defends the Azgeda spy, "Look, we knew it would take some time. We can count on Echo."

"Wouldn't be the first time she betrayed us," Octavia replies.

"If your brother trusts her, maybe we should, too," Indra defends Bellamy's trust in Echo.

However, Bellamy is not even looking at his own sister and I, and from his facial expressions i can make out that he feels shocked, betrayed, and upset.

"You're still upset we shot the traitors. I get how that must look to you, but we're fighting for our lives here, Bellamy," Octavia tries to reason with him, and I feel the need to explain how bad we need to get to that valley.

"Listen Bellamy, the hydrofarm is on its last legs. If you want the truth, it's a miracle you showed up when you did and I'm sorry we haven't thanked you enough for that. If we can just get to Shallow Valley, things will be better, I promise," I say with gratitude.

"Funny, that's the same thing we said about getting back down to the ground. Then we found the both of you," Bellamy says angrily, and at that Octavia's face turns into one that's thankful to one full of spite and anger.

She walks out the room, expecting Indra and I to follow, but before I leave I turn towards Harper and ask, "Where is Monty? I want to thank him for all of his help."

"At the Hydrofarm, I believe," she answers

I thank her and then nod at Bellamy and leave heading to the Hydrofarm to check up on Monty.

--

I walk into the Hydro-farm, and like Harper predicted I find Monty observing all the different crops and examining them as they slowly yet surely die.

I slowly walk towards him and announce, "Harper said you were probably in here."

He turns towards me seeming shocked that I asked about him, "Yeah, is there anything you need?"

I look at him sadly and realize he's probably reminiscing on his algae farm that was the reason they all survived in space.

"Reminds you of your algae farm, huh?" I ask, and he nods sadly looking down to the ground.

"You know, me and you are similar in many ways Monty. We both deep down know we aren't killers and warriors like the rest of them," I begin, "I feel bad for you, I really do, I mean I know that all you want to do is live at peace, farming outside a house you share with Harper and your future kids, until you grow old, and die happily."