magus ignotus

Okinawa, Japan - known for its beautiful beaches, clear skies, blossoming cherry blossom trees, and quaint little villages

Okinawa, Japan - known for its beautiful beaches, clear skies, blossoming cherry blossom trees, and quaint little villages. Some parts had bustling cities with thousands of people, while some parts had small towns with just a few hundred. It was the perfect getaway - no chaos, no destruction, nothing to ruin the perfectly quiet and peaceful island.
Well, most of the time.

"Get back here!"

A young man jumped over a food stand counter, knocking an elderly lady's breakfast to the ground. "Apologies ma'am! I'll pay for that when I come back 'round!" He shouted before continuing his quick chase. His (F/C) sneakers hit the ground between strides with loud claps, (H/C) hair blowing behind him as he turned corners and ducked between allies. He kept his hand on his belt, ready to whip out one of the small weapons he kept attached it to whenever the time would come.

"(M/N), slow down!" An elderly man scolded the young man as he turned a corner to breeze by him. "And you wonder why Ol' Lady Kiyoko calls you a troublemaker!"

"Sorry Mr. Taniguchi, I-!" (M/N) apologized, but stopped his words with a gasp of air. "Mr. Taniguchi, please duck your head!" He shouted, grabbing one of the weapons from his belt. These weapons were specifically kunai - small, sharp throwing daggers. Perfect for pinning or stabbing small threats from far away.

So, you might be asking - what the hell is (M/N) even chasing?

Well, our dear protagonist happens to be a Grade 1 sorcerer. Not that he liked to acknowledge it, of course.

Mr. Taniguchi gasped and quickly ducked his head. The kunai shot above him, stabbing one of the small Grade 4 curses he had been chasing in the eye and pinning it against a wall. "I'll have your head on a pike!" The old man hysterically screamed as (M/N) silently killed and exorcised the curse. "You and those ridiculous little kunai! Why I 'oughta-!"

"Sorry Taniguchi!" (M/N) chuckled sheepishly, bowing apologetically. "Thought I saw something behind you. I'll see you at the house later, 'kay?" He said. The old man grumbled and nodded, turning around and continuing down the street. (M/N) looked back at the alley the curse had tried to escape to. "Damnit, his lil friends got away!" He cursed beneath his breath before taking off again.
(M/N) was in his early 20's, but had the speed and agility of a nimble 17-year-old boy. Comes with the territory of curse hunting, I suppose.

Ah, right. (M/N)'s grade and why he doesn't acknowledge it.
Well, not so much 'doesn't acknowledge'; more so that he doesn't pay attention to rankings and all that jazz. He hunts curses in Okinawa, but only for the simple, pure reason of protecting the little island he got to call paradise. He wasn't originally from Okinawa, but rather some bustling city back on the mainland. This was truly his perfect hideaway - disconnected from his past, from chaos and disaster.
Except for when curses appear.
They weren't a common occurrence, only two to three flares a week. Since curses thrive off negative energy and Okinawa was a naturally positive place, these flares didn't happen often.