Chapter 14

I didn't see Joe again until Monday in school. I spent Sunday in the youth centre with Ethan.

Aaron did everything he could to keep my mind off Joe, he was a good friend I thought.

Joe walked into registration on Monday with a black eye. I didn't care that we were in school I jumped out of my chair and ran straight to his side ignoring the teachers call for me to sit down and not to run in her classroom.

"What happened?" I demanded taking his hand in mine and leading him to a set of seats.

He shook his head. He didn't want to tell me.

"Tell me." I said firmly.

"It's alright," he said softly, "I'm fine."

"It's not alright. You're not fine."

"You should see the other guy." He tried to joke.

"This isn't funny!"I felt annoyed now, "is that what happened? You got in a fight? Where? At practice?" I couldn't think where else he could have been, unless he'd been out yesterday after all but didn't come to see me or any of us.

He hesitated, "just leave it ok."

I didn't know what to say. Why didn't he want to tell me?

"Just tell me you're ok?" I asked, my feelings of concern winning.

He looked at me sweetly, how can he always do that, "I'm ok." I almost believed him.

I didn't push him anymore in class but I stayed very close to him in school all day. As if I could protect him.

On the way out of school he gave my hand a squeeze and then headed to practice the way he had been doing for the past weeks. I felt uneasy. Had someone hurt him there. I didn't know what to do. I hesitantly made my way towards the bus where Ethan would be waiting for me.

"I'm not taking the bus." I said when I reached Ethan.

"What do you mean?" He looked confused. It was our only way home.

"Did you not see Joe today?"

"Yeah? What's that got to do with the bus?"

"I don't think he's ok. I can't just leave him."

Ethan rolled his eyes, "come on then." He walked away from the bus back towards the school.

"Someone needs to go back home, mum will go mad waiting on us."

"We'll just tell her we missed it, or it was full, or late, or there was some problem."

"You don't have to stay with me."

"Yes I do." I smiled. Sometimes it was nice to have a protective brother. Rarely but sometimes.

We made our way towards the practice fields and stopped at a distance so we wouldn't be spotted.

Even from a distance I could pick out Joe. He was tall and strong even amongst the other players. He was laughing with them and joking around.

"Doesn't look like he's had a fight with any of them." I mumbled to Ethan.

"Not really but you never know with those rugby lads. Some of them only have half a brain they might just not remember." I rolled my eyes at Ethan hatred of rugby lads.

"So what's the plan, sis? We just going to spy on your boyfriend for the whole hour or have we seen everything we need to see?"

I blushed. We weren't spying. I just needed to make sure he was ok. There was nothing wrong with that, "let's stay. Maybe he'll tell me what actually happened."