Chapter 44

After we returned Heidi home Joe went back home, "I told Aaron I'd be around for when his date was over," he said, "he was dead nervous."

"That's sweet." I said giving him a kiss.

"I'll see you later?" He asked his arm around my waist not letting me walk away.

"See you later." I confirmed giving him one last kiss before parting ways and going back home.

I wasn't home long before Joanne turned up.

"So?" I asked excitedly, running up to my bedroom with her behind me, "how'd it go? Tell me everything!"

"How'd it go with you and my aunt?" She asked back.

"I'll tell you about that later! Tell me about your date first!" I demanded.

"Ok." She sat down on my bed, "we kissed."

I squealed in excitement. I knew they would get together.

"But I told him I'd rather just be friends." She finished her sentence.

"What? Why?" I felt my face drop.

"I dunno," Joanne lay back on the bed so she was looking at the ceiling as she spoke, "it was a nice kiss and all but that was all it was. Nice. I want something a little bit more exciting. You know? Knock me off my feet."

"Yeah I get you." I admitted, "poor Aaron, did he take it well?"

"Yeah he seemed alright." She shrugged, "we hung out for a little bit more after and then he dropped me off home. We'll still be friends." 

"Good."

"So tell me how'd it go at Joe's."

I told her everything that had happened since I had last seen her.

"I've got to say that went better than I thought it would." Joanne admitted.

"Really?"

"Yeah." She nodded, "I know I kept telling you it was going to be fine because you were nervous but to be honest I wasn't sure."

I laughed, "well thanks for sending me in anyway!"

"You had Joe! And mum! You were fine! Worse that would happen was a bit of yelling and then you would have left! But I'm glad it worked out."

"Thanks."

Later that afternoon Joanne and I walked to the youth centre. As we were approaching it we saw Ethan and James walking towards us from the other direction, heads close together whispering excited.

When James saw us he nudged Ethan and they stopped speaking.

"Where are you coming from?" Ethan shouted over to me.

"I could ask you the same." I replied.

Ethan just nodded. He didn't want to answer.

The four of us went into the youth centre. Once we were in I saw that Joe and Aaron were already there.

Joanne looked at me awkwardly.

"It's fine." I said to her, "just act normally and it'll be normal." I wasn't sure if this was true but it was the best advice I could think of so I said it confidently.

Joanne nodded like she believed me.

The four of us sat down doubling the number at the table.

Aaron smiled awkwardly and Joanne and she returned the gesture.

"Anyone for a game of cards?" Joe said loudly getting everyone's attention and holding up the deck of cards.

Everyone agreed and soon enough Joanne and Aaron were both in loud conversations.