Chapter 17

The next day I got up early despite being tired. I had to pack a bag to bring to Belfast for almost a month. I couldn't bring all my clothes but I would need a lot of them. I was going to struggle to fit them into the bag my dad had provided for me.

I eventually packed and brought my bag downstairs. Dad wanted everything ready for the car. He was driving mum, Ethan and me to the ferry early in the morning.

Dad laughed when he saw how full my bag was as I struggled to carry it down the stairs. "Have you got enough stuff?" he teased.

"We're going for ages! I'm going to need a lot of stuff." I justified as he helped me get my bag the last bit down the stairs.

I ate my breakfast and noticed Ethan wasn't up yet. Mum must have seen me looking towards the stairs because she said, "leave your brother alone, it's still early, let him sleep if he wants to."

"What?" I played innocent as if I hadn't been thinking of going to wake him up, "I'm just going to my room." I went upstairs and into Ethan's room where he is still asleep. I woke him up.

"What?" He asked me annoyed shielding his eyes even though it was still dark in his room.

"It is our last day here, I just think we should make the most of it." I prompted him to get up.

"You just want to go see your boyfriend." He teased rolling over away from me, "besides no one is going to be up yet, it's too early."

I managed to drag Ethan out of bed. He was right it was too early. The only person who was out that we knew was George. We spent some time catching up with him as more people slowly started to join us on the first day of winter break.

Joe came in eventually with a bottle of water in hand rubbing his head. He sat down behind me and put his head on my shoulder, a position that couldn't be comfortable due to our height difference.

"Feeling ok?" I asked already knowing the answer.

He mumbled a response with his eyes closed.

"Why are you even out?" George asked with a laugh.

"My parents were so happy I won my game yesterday they forgot I was grounded. Had to take advantage of that." He then moved his head so that he could whisper in my ear and only I would hear, "and I'm going to miss my girl."

I smiled and turned to kiss his cheek. He went back to resting against me just listening to the conversation.

At lunch time Joe stood up slowly took a long chug of his water and then offered me his hand. I took it.

"Where are we going?" I asked as he lead me away. He had a terrible habit of just bringing me places without telling me where we were going.

I didn't really mind.

"I'm bringing you on a lunch date. I want you to have a great day with me so you don't forget me when you get back to all those Irish boys."

I rolled my eyes, "ok let's see how this lunch is then." I joked, he tickled my side in response and I tried and failed not to giggle.

Joe made me wait outside, out of sight, while he ran into his house. He came back out very quickly with a large bag.

"Come on." He said taking my hand.

"Where are we going?" I tried to look at the bag but it was closed.

"Picnic in the park."

I smiled, "sometimes I think you forget that it's December. Or you just don't feel the cold!"

"I'm sorry," he said, "we don't have to. I don't have any money to bring you out anywhere."

"No! That's not what I meant." I paused so I could give him a quick kiss on the cheek, "I think it's a lovely idea. You're too sweet." I hadn't wanted to make him feel bad.

Joe wrapped his arm around me now as we continued to walk.

He had made us sandwiches. There was fruit in the bag and blankets to sit on and wrap around us to keep off the cold.

"When did you do all this?" I asked knowing he had been hung over this morning and he must have done it without his mum seeing.

"Yesterday. Before I left for school. Hid it in my room. I'm just glad the food is still good."

My great day with Joe went by too fast and before I knew it he was walking me down the street and I was holding onto his arm as if I could just not let go.

"I don't want to leave you." I said the sadness evident in my voice.

"I don't want you to leave. But you'll be back. And I'll phone you. It'll fly by. I promise." He kissed the top of my head.

We were outside my house now. I had been avoiding this topic all day but I knew I had to say something I took both his hands in mine and stared straight at him, "promise me, if you have any trouble at home. Any at all you just leave, ok? Don't try and stand up for yourself don't try and do anything. Just leave. Go to Aaron's. Go to anyones. Come here even, if my dad is still here, he'll help you. Just please promise me."

He gave me a quick kiss, "I promise."

I felt better when I went inside.

Please comment and vote! I want to hear from you! Please comment what you think and anything you think could be improved!!