Chapter 3

The Secret Diary of Draco Malfoy: Aristocrat, Ne'er-do-Well, Rampant Homosexual.

Chapter 3: 19th October – 11th November.

Saturday 19th October.

Dear Diary,

I got another letter from home today. I wish my mother would stop referring to me in writing as 'her little dragon.' Blaise caught sight of the letter, and won't shut up about it. Apparently my aunt and uncle from Dad's side have come to stay – another reason to be grateful that I go to boarding school. Mum keeps going on about how handsome my cousin Spartacus has become – I think she's trying to pimp me out to him, which is a bit disturbing.

She says that perfect Spartacus has been going on about how keen he is to sign up as a Death Eater. He sounds like a right twat. I haven't seen him since we were eight, but already I feel that I violently dislike him. He probably isn't even that good looking; my mother has hideous taste in men. Well, apart from my father. And even he's a bit of an idiot.

I wish I knew what I want to do after I leave school. Unless I have a very definite plan, I can't see any way I'm going to get out of the whole Death Eater thing. I mean, I really like clothes, but I'm a lot more enthusiastic about buying them than selling them, so retail isn't really an option. I guess I could do something in the area of nutrition. I'm pretty good at Potions; maybe I could work on formulating some fat-burning energy drinks, or a type of chocolate which speeds up your metabolism. But that sounds like really hard work. The trouble is that I'm spoilt. To be honest, I'm not sure that I like the idea of going out to work at all.

Still no news on who Harry's going out with. Oh, but I can rule Hannah Abbott off the list – she's going out with Terry Boot from Ravenclaw. That was a huge relief; I don't think I would have been able to stand it if that trollop was dating my Harry.

Friday 25th October.

Dear Diary,

This week has been pretty hideous with the amount of homework which has been set. Clearly none of the teachers remember what it's like to have a life, or they'd be more understanding. I've just finished an essay on Sleeping Draughts for Snape, and I have to devote this weekend to this hideous Transfiguration project for McGonagall on human-to-animal transformations.

This week has been hideous in other ways as well.

I was in the library yesterday getting books out for my Potions essay, and I saw Harry and his friends sitting around one of the tables. They looked like they were having a serious conversation – Harry kept rubbing the back of his neck like he always does when he's nervous, Granger had got her waggly-eyebrowed nagging face on, and Weasley was scowling and trying to pretend that he didn't care what was happening.

I oh-so-subtly edged along behind the bookcase so that I could overhear what they were talking about. I almost wish I hadn't.

The first voice I heard was Granger's. "I know it's none of our business, Harry, but you have to admit that we're justified in our concern. Couldn't you have chosen someone to go out with who's more... I don't know... like us?"

Harry sighed. "Hermione, I think you're being too quick to judge. If you'd just give us a chance, spend a bit of time with us, you might come to see what I see."

Weasley snorted unattractively.

"Harry, be honest," Granger whispered. "Are you sure you're not just being influenced by lust here? It's one thing to be attracted to someone for their looks, but there has to be something else as well, or it's just not going to last."