Chapter 14

The Secret Diary of Draco Malfoy: Aristocrat, Ne'er-do-Well, Rampant Homosexual.

Chapter 14: May 17th – June 1st

Monday 17th May.

Dear Diary,

I'm back at school for the last ever term. I have exactly two-and-a-half months to prove to Harry that I have turned over a new leaf and that I am someone he can rely on. I'm not going to panic. I am going to remain cool, calm and collected. The important thing to remember is that Harry still loves me, which will work massively in my favour. On the other hand, he said that it would be a lot easier if he didn't.

I saw him briefly at lunch. He just gave me a weird, tight smile and looked away. Then we had Potions last thing, and he didn't look at me once. Granger glared at me a few times, but that was it. Maybe he's actually trying to stop loving me. Maybe he only said that he still loves me to spare my feelings.

I am not panicking.

Oh, please, please let Harry take me back! I know that I've been a complete idiot, but I'll make it up to him somehow! Please let him give me another chance, I don't want to be alone! PLEASE FORGIVE ME HARRY!!!!

I'm not panicking. Calm. Calm, calm, calm.

Tuesday 18th May.

Dear Diary,

I saw Harry briefly today, and I have to admit that our meeting hasn't exactly filled me with confidence. I'd really wanted to talk to him ever since yesterday, but we didn't have any classes together and he wasn't at any of the meals. I was starting to get a bit worried, but then I saw him walking by the lake with Ron. Seeing my chance, I started to run after him.

"Harry!" I yelled, my arms flailing inelegantly (I never did learn to run like a man). "Haaaaaaarryyyyyyy!"

He looked round in shock. In fact, I think that everyone in a one-mile vicinity was probably looking round in shock. Oh well; Harry is far more important to me than my inner poise.

Ron immediately scowled and folded his arms. "What the hell do you want, Malfoy?"

"I want... to talk to Harry," I panted, very red in the face.

Ron looked nervously at his friend. "Um, do you want me to stick around?"

"It's okay, Ron," Harry said quietly. "Draco, lets go over by the broom shed, we'll have a bit of privacy there. Ron, I'll meet you back at the Tower; I won't be too long."

Harry walked away and I hurried after him, feeling like a naughty schoolboy about to be given detention. But unfortunately, not in a sexy way. As soon as we were in relative privacy, Harry turned round and looked at me. "So," he said. "What did you want to talk about?"

It was horrible. There was just this weird distance between us which had never been there before, even when we were enemies. Harry had this wary look in his eyes, almost as if he wanted to escape. "What's going on, Harry?" I said. "You said that we were just going to be on a break and that we could still talk, but you've been avoiding me ever since we got back to school. Is this your way of telling me that it's over?" To my horror, I felt that I was about to cry, and desperately tried to cover it up. Sadly, this just meant that my voice went all high and jerky, and I must have looked like I was having some kind of fit. "I. Know I. Screwed up. Ha-Harry, but I. Deserve to. Know what's. Going o-on!" Then my whole face screwed up and I started bawling, right there in the middle of the grounds. I could hear the wailing getting louder and louder, but there wasn't anything I could do about it.

Harry looked really uncomfortable. "Oh God, Draco, don't cry! Um... there, there. Look, um, I'm really sorry; I shouldn't have just shut you out like that. Oh, please stop! Come on, buck up! You're okay!" He punched me softly on the arm, in the way that boys always do when they're feeling really awkward about something.