Chapter 2

Sitting in the back seat of the car was intimidating, despite the luxury of the vehicle. It was raining to the point where Evanora could hardly see out the window as the car pulled into the gates of the compound. As far as any humans in the outside world knew, this was a private military base - which, one could argue, it was. However, in actuality, this compound was where the local vampires resided, hidden away from the majority of the rest of the world.

Various homes and structures were scattered throughout the compound. Evanora wondered how many of the locals here knew that she was coming, and that she'd requested to meet with their king in private. The vampires feared Evanora more than any other witch, because she was essentially immortal, yet that didn't stop them from coming after her people.

Evanora simply hoped that her idea to finally, at long last, bring out an alliance, would work.

Or she'd completely humiliate herself in front of arguably the most powerful creature on the planet.

Either way, it would make for a very interesting day.

It was customary for witches to wear some form of head covering when entering unfamiliar territory, as a way of protecting their energies. Be it a bandana, a cowl, a hood, or even a pointed hat at times - though this was more of a novelty. So it was no surprise when Evanora stepped out of the car after arriving at the compound and she wore a cowl over her dress. The dress was an orangey-yellow color, like the color of squash, and the sleeves ruffled at the wrists. Her cowl was black and velvet, covering her head and shoulders. The dress went to her shins, and she wore simple black flats on her feet.

 The dress went to her shins, and she wore simple black flats on her feet

"Evanora Townsley."

As Evanora steps out of the car, which was parked near an awning, to shield from the rain. She turns to face a young vampire whom she'd recognized from her various encounters with the species.

"Vinchenzo."

He chuckles, "I swear, you're the only one who calls me that."

"Then what do the others call you?"

"Vinny."

Evanora nods, "Pleasure to see you again, Vinny."

"Likewise." Though Evanora wasn't quite sure if this was true, "He's waiting for you, I'll take you to him now...And, the cat?"

Bean had come along on this little excursion as well, and currently sat patiently at Evanora's feet.

"My familar goes where I go."

Vinny nods, then gestures for Evanora and Bean to follow him as he walks off.

After driving through the gates of the compound, the car had gone all the way up the long drive to the huge, brick mansion that looked like a castle.