Chapter 13 (Trigger Warning)

Mild Trigger Warning: Mentions of violence and s*icide

"We can't find anything, your highness," Justin says to Evanora.

Rowan sighs, then pinches the bridge of her nose, "Never send a vampire to do a witch's job."

Only a select few knew of Evanora's pregnancy. Chris's closest allies, and Evanora's closest witches.

"Give us a minute," Evanora says, standing from the chair she'd been sitting in.

Everyone who was aware of the pregnancy besides Chris was gathered in the library. Chris was in his study, but had tasked his most trusted with scouring the library to try and find any information they could on a vampire-witch pregnancy. So far, they weren't having any luck.

"Witches, gather around," Evanora says.

"Ev, you're supposed to be resting," Rowan says.

"If we don't do this now, we're never going to find what we're looking for," Evanora argues.

The witches gather into a circle and hold hands, with the vampires watching from afar in confusion. The witches all close their eyes and begin whispering in a foreign tongue that even the vampires weren't familiar with. Swaying. Raising their arms in unison.

Lights begin to flicker. Books that were scattered on tables begin to open and their pages flipping on their own. The majority of the vampires in the room had never actually seen witch's magick in action, so this was quite a sight to see. It was something to behold.

So much so, that they were almost too distracted to notice when something flew through the library walls, crashing to the ground below.

All of the witches gasp at the loud crashing noise, opening their eyes and releasing each other. Evanora falls back into her chair, having used much more energy than she likely should have. However, it seemed that they'd found what they were looking for.

There was now a large, gaping hole in the wall of the upstairs of the library. It seemed as though the book had been hidden in the wall, and when the witches summoned it, it burst through. It then made its way down to the lower level where the witches were, and now lay on the floor just outside where the witches circle was.

"Rowan, what is it?" Evanora asks.

Rowan walks over to the book and picks it up. She inspects it, seeing that it had no title or writing on the outside. It was clearly very old, hand-bound with yellowing and crisp pages. She opens the book and furrows her eyebrows in confusion, flipping through a couple of the pages before her eyes widen. There were also several loose pieces of paper that looked like they'd been stuck in the book separately. Rowan then suddenly slams the book shut, as if she'd seen something extremely forbidden, then looks back to Evanora.

"You're never gonna fucking believe this."

x

Evanora bursts into Chris's office with the book in her arms.

"Cancel all your meetings this afternoon."

"Nora? What are you doing?"

Evanora slams the book down on Chris's desk.

"We've been lied to."

"What are you talking about?"

"The King was never assassinated. The war between the vampires and the witches was started by vampires, not by witches. And my pregnancy is not the first to be caused by a vampire."

Chris stares at Evanora with wide eyes for a moment. He then picks up his phone, pushes a few buttons, then puts it to his ear to call someone.

"Hey, Rick. Cancel all my meetings for the rest of the day."