The cabin

Cordelia

7 years ago

After a while of driving and getting one-word answers from Marcus. I decided to just shut the fuck up and stop sounding like a little child who asked a question every second on repeat.

It was pitch black outside and I could hear the wind sway and the stones compress under the wheels of the car. I glanced out the window and wherever we were was secluded. Desolate. Bleak.

Chills covered my skin and nerves spread over my body. Why were we here? Apprehension filled my lungs and nothingness covered my line of view. Where the fuck were we? I clenched my hands into Marcus's grey hoodie. The scent of him prolonged. I didn't bother to say another word because all I would receive is another question to ponder over as to why he was being so vague. Did I do something wrong? What was I missing?

The car came to a halt and seconds later so did Corey's and Ivan's.

"Stay here." Marcus ordered as he exited the car.

I heard all of them talking – Corey raising his voice, but I only made out certain words. It sounded heated but right now I couldn't care less what it was about. It wasn't my business after all. I just wanted to go to bed like children do and forget about this day. For it to be wiped from my memory. I hated when I felt awkward. It made me feel sick. During this car ride up I felt tense in Marcus's company. I used to spend so long worrying about scenarios and arguments that would take place to prepare myself and the other possibilities that were completely preposterous and would never happen but nevertheless it helped me prepare for every outcome just in case, however, I never prepared myself for the time of worrying, stressing, and panicking but if the foreseeable did happen to take place I would be so fucking ready because I would sweat out every possibility in my head until it drove me insane. And it did.

Anger boiled through me, so I decided to fuck the waiting until the next new instruction.

I got out the car with anger fuelling my boldness. "Where are we? Why are we here? And why the fuck are we in the middle of nowhere?" I blurted it out. Marcus's head still faced the other way to Corey and Ivan. Heat quickly rose to my cheeks and my stomach twisted. "Can someone answer me!" I shouted. "Yous are so pathetic." I turned and begun walking into the wilderness.

Marcus prodded with a smile aligning his face. "And where do you think you're going?"

I hated his arrogance and his righteousness because he knew I didn't have anywhere to go but it pissed me off all the more.

I just turned and began running into the bush. "Cordelia!" Marcus blared.

I continued to make my way through a ray of trees having no clue what direction I was going in. All I knew was I was going in the opposite direction of him, and his buddies who were at his beckoning call whenever he wanted them.

"Ugh get her." Marcus words dragged off but the further I got the less audible he became.

I heard footsteps follow mine. But I didn't want to be caught I just wanted to be away from them. To think. To breath. It was always male patriarchy. Male dominance. I hated it.

I hid behind a cluster of trees off to the left and ducked. I heard Corey run by not long after and Marcus in the opposite direction. I think I had lost them. Thank God.

"Hey, buttercup." Ivan stood behind me with his arms crossed.

"I'm not going back unless you answer my questions!" I demanded but in a quiet tone, so I didn't alert the others as to my whereabouts.

"Honey, I hate to admit it, but I can pick you up and throw you over my shoulders if you contest." His voice was so calm it enraged me.

"I'll come if you answer me one question."