Part 4

Rosella had a lot to think about whilst she was under the covers, the safety of a roof over her head. This new Inspector was starting to put her on edge. He had come into her home town and bloodied her brother. He had been causing so much stress on her family that she automatically hated him.

He was after the Peaky Blinders, meaning he was after her family. And although Rosella was only 14, turning 15, she'd do what she had to in order to protect her family.

That was why, when she heard commotion on the streets of Watery Lane, she immediately legged it down the stairs and into the betting shop. The shop wasn't open yet, and the commotion was further down the Lane, but nevertheless, she grabbed what she could. That included the books of the illegal business, a few bags of money John had laying around and the 3 pistols she could see.

Quickly, but carefully, she lifted up a couple of the loose floor boards at the bottom of the stairs, shoving the items in and nailing them back down. Catching her breathe, she leant against the desk in front of the chalk board.

The trotting of hooves sounded in her ears, the shouting coming nearer. She walked back into her house, closing and locking the double doors that lead into the shop and sat at the dining room table.

She closed her eyes and counted to ten. As she hit number nine, her front door was burst open and the new coppers ventured through as if they owned the place. Rose's head snapped up, her mouth hanging open in silent shock even if she had expected this.

"What the-get the fuck out!" She shouted, standing up from her chair. As she made her way around the table, a copper grabbed her and shoved her against the wall, a tight grip on her arm. She looked at him in the eyes and raised an eyebrow, almost daring him to hurt her.

He dragged her back into the dining room, roughly pushing her into a chair and holding her shoulder. When she was sat, an older man waltzed in, the coppers parting for him like the Red Sea.

"Miss Shelby, you'd do well to cooperate with me" he said, the Irish accent coming out thick. Rose scoffed at him, looking him up and down and deciding he was too old to be messing with her family. The poor guy was digging an already half dug grave.

"And you'd do well to get the fuck out!" She shouted, attempting to stand up but to no avail. "You have no right"

"Oh, I have rights from Winston Churchill himself." He responded, walking to stand in front of her. As he did, he lent down to be at her level before grabbing her chin, forcing her to look at him. She squirmed, trying to get out of his hold but it was no use. "What do you know about some missing guns?"

She squinted her eyebrows together, remembering Arthur talking about it last night. However, she just shook her head "what guns?"

The inspector laughed and tightened his grip "just tell me what you know"

"Why would I know anything? What does a 14 year old want with guns?" She questioned.

He seemed to consider her answer, staring into her eyes and deciding to let go of her. He turned his back and walked away but not before calling out "this was a warning,miss Shelby. You won't want to know what I'll do if worst comes to worse".

"That seems like a threat" she called back, pausing him in his steps. He turned briefly and smirked.

"Do not mistake me for the fools around here, scared of your family. For I am certain that I am not" he left it at that, walking away along with the coppers, empty handed, leaving the door swung wide open.

"Fuck" Rose whispered, rubbing her chin that had a lost ache from his hand.

° 𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 ₒ 𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 °