Part 29

Brunette hair spread against the pillow, fanned out in a tangled mess in the midst of her sleep. Golden light rays pooled in through the curtains, illuminating her tired body as she slept soundly in the comfort of a pillowy bed. The birds sang their morning song, perched on the balcony, softly awakening the girl from her slumber. Her eyes fluttered open, a groan emitting from her as her aunt stormed through the door.

A bundle of fabric was tossed her way, collapsing at her feet as she sat up.

"What's the problem, aunt Pol?" Rose questioned tiredly, her hands reaching to rub the sleep out of her eyes.

"Get dressed, we've got a wedding to get to" Polly responded, walking more into the room and flittering through the wardrobe, grasping a pair a sandy pink heels, a pair of shoes Rose had refused to wear since Ada gifted them to her.

Waking up a lot quicker than before, the girls eyebrows scrunched together as she stared at her aunt.

"Whose wedding?" She asked.

"You'll know when you get there. Get dressed, I want you downstairs in 15 minutes"

The door was slammed on the way out and Rose had the mind to believe her aunt was mad. At what? She wouldn't know. And instead of facing the woman's wrath, the teen silently got dressed in the clothes set out for her.

The dress was a champagne colour, jewels stitched into the fabric and fringes hanging at the bottom hems. A salmon pink (matching her shoes) was detailed along the dress, adding a pop of colour.

Rose recoiled when she put it on. The fabric itched at her skin uncomfortably, and stopped shorter than she would've liked. Either way, she grabbed her shoes by the straps and headed down the stairs, Aunt Polly waiting at the table with her breakfast and a brush in her hands.

Rose sat in front of her aunt, scoffing down her strawberry jam sandwich, Polly taking the brush to the her hair.

The bristles snagged at the knots, Roses head flinging back and causing her to groan in pain. Polly simple smacked her head with the brush, telling her to sit still...which she did.

After they were finished getting ready, Rose slipped on the heels, her feet being uncomfortably squished, and forcing herself to walk without stumbling. They made their way through small Heath and to a car waiting for them. Getting in, the driver took them to their destination.

"Are you going to tell me whose getting married then, Pol?" She questioned, her fingers messing with her dress.

Polly sighed, taking out a cigarette and lighting it.

"John"

"John?" Rose said.

"John."

The teen stared at her aunt closely as the woman smoked the thin, black stick.

"John's already marrying Lizzie?" Rose asked her aunt, in slight disbelief that her brother was moving so fast into this marriage.

Polly snorted, shaking her head before facing her niece.

"He isn't marrying Lizzie"

Her eyebrows raised "then whose he marrying?"

"Esme Lee"

Her mouth dropped open in shock, Polly lifting her fingers beneath her chin to close it.

"You'll catch flies, love"

"John is marrying a Lee? Since when?" She grasped out.

"Since Tommy made a deal"

"This is how Tommy sorted it? This is the alliance with the Lees, An arranged marriage?"

Polly nodded her head, flipping the smoked bud out of the window before turning to Rose.

"You'll behave today, Rosella. The family needs this. We can't have a war with the Lees and with Kimber. It's whats right for the family."

Rose scoffed "does John even know about this?"

"No, but he will"

She smiled sarcastically "grand. That's really grand"