Part 5

After Tommy left, Rosella had nothing better to do with her most exciting life than venture out into the still angry streets of Birmingham.

And as her booted feet hit the cobblestones of Small Heath, she quite literally ran into her best friend.

"James! You prick, watch where you're going" she stumbled, pushing his chest. He shrugged her off and shook his head.

"Yeah yeah... what happened earlier? My house looks like a grenade just blew in" he said, the two of them walking side by side.

Rose threw her head back and groaned "fucking pigs, that's what. Some robbery happened, they reckon the people round here have what they took. They're saying their looking for communists though"

James nodded with a hum, throwing his arm around Rose's shoulders as they made it down to the cut.

Crouching down, she threw her legs over the ledge and sat gazing over the murky water that was the canal. The water was so dark that it hid the evil committed down here.

They two of them sat silently, almost forgetting the other one was there. This was why the two were such good friends, they could do absolutely nothing together but not feel the loneliness one usually might. They didn't need to speak the entire English language to understand the other, they just...knew.

"Things are changing, aren't they?" James asked, picking at the weeds peaking up through the concrete gaps.

Rose looked over at him, noticing his downturn gaze.

"They are. I can already feel it, the...shift I guess" she shrugged, mumbling on her words.

He nodded his head and looked up ; the clouds were visiting the sky once again, covering it in a blanketed hug, secluding the burning sun to a breeze.

She noticed his gaze, of course, and lightly smiled. She grabbed his rough hands in hers and squeezed.

"We'll be okay, eh? You've got a Shelby on your arm to protect you" she joked, shoving his arm slightly.

He managed to slip a smile, chuckling slightly. "Mhm, I'm untouchable with you by my side. I reckon that's why I've kept you around for so long"

She shook her head "the only reason you've kept me around this long is because you've no other friends"

His mouth opened in a gasp, fake shock taking over his figures "says you! I'm you're only friend"

"Not true, I have friends" she denied.

"Name them, then. And you can't say me, or John or Finn"

"I- erm, well there's- and then there's-...Oh you know what, shut it" she said, punching his arm to try and stop him from laughing at her.

Heaving a sigh, they returned to silence. But before it got too late, they stood and ventured back into town.

Chaos. That was the only word that came to mind when Rose and James took in the sight of the streets.

Families running out of their houses, pictures of the king in their hands... all heading to Watery Lane of all places.

A smaller body ran past them, accidentally bumping into Rose. She stumbled back lightly, but ended up recognising the figure.

"Finn?!" She shouted, causing the boy to turn and look at her "what's going on?"

"Tommy says come to watery lane, there's gonna be a bon fire" he exclaimed, smiling cheekily and running off.

The two best friends looked at each other, before simultaneously shrugging and following Finn.

Low and behold, there stood the biggest Bon fire she had the pleasure of seeing... if her school didn't count.